CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Seam separating on convertible top-repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 07:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK 350A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by junkie69
Can't see the link? possible my permission issue?
I am logged in.
Hi, I have just notice the seam on my top is starting to spread, and was wondering if your way of repairing the top worked. If not how long did it take to spread again, If it didn't come apart where did you get the TREX at, or where did you order it from. I was checking it out on line and it did seem like a good flexible adhesive, I was also going to take off the top and let my neighbor who does Quilting with one of those computerized sewing machine to stich it to reenforce the seam, maybe a cool pattern. (LOL)
Old 11-06-2022, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 CLK350 CABRIOLET & 2005 SL500
CABRIOLET CLK

Originally Posted by wagzbenz
Hi, I have just notice the seam on my top is starting to spread, and was wondering if your way of repairing the top worked. If not how long did it take to spread again, If it didn't come apart where did you get the TREX at, or where did you order it from. I was checking it out on line and it did seem like a good flexible adhesive, I was also going to take off the top and let my neighbor who does Quilting with one of those computerized sewing machine to stich it to reenforce the seam, maybe a cool pattern. (LOL)
HOWDY,

I DID SOME EXPERIMENTING WITH DIFFERENT ADHESIVES BUT IN THE END I SIMPLY PUT IN SOME "DARTS" AS I DESCRIBED. MY BIG PROBLEM WAS THAT I DID NOT HAVE A PLACE TO KEEP THE VEHICLE LONG ENOUGH FOR ADHESIVES TO PROPERTLY SET UP. OBVIOUSLY THE CANVAS MATERIAL IS POROUS WHICH MAKES IT DIFFICULT FOR SOME ADHESIVES TO COMPLETELY BIND. BUT IT IS DIFFICULT TO USE AN ADHESIVE AND DART AT THE SAME TIME BECAUSE YOU NEED TO STITCH FROM BOTH UNDERSIDES IN ORDER TO MAKE IT LOOK LESS OBVIOUS....UNLESS YOU REMOVE THE TOP AS U SUGGESTED. WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY IS TO USE A NYLON THREAD FOR WEATHERING AND DO A BETTER JOB OF OVERLAPPING THE TWO PIECES. MINE HAS SINCE COME UNDONE BUT I STILL DO NOT HAVE ANY LEAKS, THANK GOD. I BELIEVE THE MATERIALS ARE LAYERED BECAUSE I KNOW IT IS A HEAVY ROOF BY COMPARISON TO OTHERS I HAVE HAD. GREAT SOUNDPROOFING. STITCHING IS QUICK AND EASY ONCE YOU FIGURE OUT THE BEST MANNER IN WHICH TO DO IT.....AND I KEPT MY STITCHES ABOUT 6-8 INCHES APART. THEN THE REST HAS TO DO WITH EXPOSURE.

ALL THE BEST. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS. I PREFER AND NOW OWN TWO SL'S WITH THE RETRACTABLE HARDTOP

RICK B
Old 11-07-2022, 07:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK 350A Cabriolet
Hi, I sent an earlier Message for your about the TREX adhesive and where did you get it from, but I guess I asked the question at the wrong place. Would really like to know if the adhesive worked for you.