CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Windshield removal, please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK350 Convertible
Rear Windshield removal, please help

Hello!

As most us know (not all of us have this problem, but most), there is well known problem with canvas ungluing at the top seems and rear windshield sides.

I managed to fix the seem issue, and holds strong, but now I see that on the left and right of the rear windscreen I have the same issue. Does anyone have any information on how to remove the rear windshield? or how to correctly glue the sides back in? It seems that the correct way to reglue the sides is with the window out.

I am not even considering changing to a new top, as my top is in mint condition other than this stupid ungluing issue.

Any input is greatly appreciated (I searched but could not find any info).
Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
You sure it's unglued on the sides? There are cables in the fabric back there that keep it tight. Those come loose.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I've never heard of "the well known problem" of it coming unglued at the sides. Only the top seam. Post a pic maybe? Mine once had the fabric all loose and baggy and it would not stay tucked under the plastic window surround. But it was just loose cables.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:54 PM

2006 CLK350 Convertible
I'll post a pic in the AM, as it is already dark out and not enough light in the garage for a good pic.

I've read of a couple of other members that had a similar issue... (with the sides). When i said "well known" i was referring to the top seem getting unglued, i did a really good fix with 3M urethane sealer, holding super strong.

I can see the cables that you are talking about, when i tried to put the canvas side back under the rubber window seal, and i can see were the glue failed (small traces of glue on the inside of the canvas). but all seems to be in place, the top works perfect....
Old 11-14-2015, 10:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The water pocket can come unglued where it is held in place by the tension cable. You just need to fix it the same way you fixed seam on the canvas.

Remove the rear glass to access it:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/RemoveRearWindow.pdf

This will help with the water pocket repair:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/WaterPocket.pdf

Last edited by Rudeney; 11-14-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:54 PM

2006 CLK350 Convertible
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The water pocket can come unglued where it is held in place by the tension cable. You just need to fix it the same way you fixed seam on the canvas.

Remove the rear glass to access it:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/RemoveRearWindow.pdf

This will help with the water pocket repair:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/WaterPocket.pdf
Thank you Rudeney!

That's exactly what I was looking for! Will order the new seal, I see it states to replace the seal each time window is removed. Seal is really cheap around 10$. Once I have the seal, will reglue the sides.

Thanks again!