CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

parking sensor problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 slk 250 and 2009 s class 320cdi
parking sensor problem

hi guys
very new to this so if this post is in the wrong place I do apologise
I have a tempremental issue with my parking senors on clk 200?
sometimes they work just fine then all of a sudden they will alarm (a long contiuous beep) then I get the red lights on in the middle of the display then they turn themselves off
this can happen regularly and then not happen for weeks???
any ideas please?
Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W209 forum...
Old 12-09-2015, 01:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
I would guess a failing sensor. I was recently rear-ended by some moron in a 20 year old Ford Explorer. He had a crucial text to send or puppy video to post on Facebook and couldn't be bothered looking out the windshield ahead of him.

So he plowed into me at a stop sign, not 75 ft from the last stop sign. (joys of LA)

Anyhow, my CLK didn't look too bad, except that one of the parking sensors was missing. The car would thus freak out overtime it was started, thinking I was 1 inch from something. It would do the continuous beep then the red light would show that the system was off.

I later dug my hand behind the bumper cover and was able to stuff it back into place. Oddly it only worked occasionally, even when it was in right place. And in fact most times it would do same thing, go nuts with a long beep and solid parking lights, then shut itself off.

This turned out to be a good thing because it got me off my butt to let his insurance pay to fix things. I might have lived with the bumper scuffed and cracked, but I couldn't live with the beeping and the parktronic not working at all.

$2,500 of insurance work later and I got the car back. They replaced a sensor and it has worked fine ever since. (2-3 months)

So, likely a failing sensor, especially if you ever hit something hard.