CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sunshade Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes CLK 320
Sunshade Problem

The sunshade on my 04 CLK doesn't go up , when i press the button there is a weird buzzing sound but nothing happens. So what's probably the problem? And if it will be a big or small problem.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
Hey Mo you have a problem car---the buzzing sound you hear is the sun shade motor is not turning and faulty-----a 3 hour repair(with experience) would consist of removing the shade then remove the rear shelf and replace the motor and install in reverse order!!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
I doubt it is the motor that needs replacing since you can hear it trying to raise the shade. It is more likely what is described here (applies to MB as well as BMW and probably Audi):
Old 02-18-2016, 09:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
What may have happened is that the gear on the motor is stripped out. I'd remove the shade and take a look at it. To get to it, fold down the back seat and remove the C-pillar trim. There are several nuts underneath, in the trunk, holding it in place. Once all that's removed, the hat shelf along with the shade comes out together.

I do like that repair kit shown above when that's the failure point. I am pretty sure the MBZ sunshade is identical. I had the one in my C240 break just like that. I ended up finding an entire used shade on eBay for about $75 and swapped it.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 AM

2004 Mercedes CLK 320
Originally Posted by floridawriter
I doubt it is the motor that needs replacing since you can hear it trying to raise the shade. It is more likely what is described here (applies to MB as well as BMW and probably Audi):
BMW Sunshade Repair Kit - YouTube
I dont live in the us i live in a gulf country so I don't have access to shops that sell these things . So can u provide me with the name of the stuff so that i search for it here ? Also what's the range of its price? . And thank u
Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 AM

2004 Mercedes CLK 320
Originally Posted by Rudeney
What may have happened is that the gear on the motor is stripped out. I'd remove the shade and take a look at it. To get to it, fold down the back seat and remove the C-pillar trim. There are several nuts underneath, in the trunk, holding it in place. Once all that's removed, the hat shelf along with the shade comes out together.

I do like that repair kit shown above when that's the failure point. I am pretty sure the MBZ sunshade is identical. I had the one in my C240 break just like that. I ended up finding an entire used shade on eBay for about $75 and swapped it.
So from what I understood , do u mean that all parts are probably fine and it just needs some fixing ?
I don't live in the us so I can't get that repair kit 😁 So i am searching for another solutions
Old 02-19-2016, 11:42 AM

2004 Mercedes CLK 320
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Hey Mo you have a problem car---the buzzing sound you hear is the sun shade motor is not turning and faulty-----a 3 hour repair(with experience) would consist of removing the shade then remove the rear shelf and replace the motor and install in reverse order!!
So the motor itself needs replacing or just fixing?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:36 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Like I suggested - remove the shade and see what's going on. It's a fairly simple design. From what I have seen, when that arm breaks (from the video), it happens when the shade is up and then it won't lower. When it won't raise, I suspect the motor or the gears in the motor.