CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Window Rattle and Squeaks!?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Window Rattle and Squeaks!?

I have a 2003 CLK 500 and experience a rubber rattle sound from the 2 side windows. I hear them when I go over a speed bump or face a ramp... a road surface that puts tension on the chasis...

Has anyone experienced loose windows with rattles? What was the solution?

Thanks...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
My 04 does the same thing...MB quality, it always lets you know its not there.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 500
What have you done to remedy the situation...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
I've had some success using a weatherstrip lubricant called Krytox made by Dupont.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...0JENRXNVF4105A

This stuff definitely lubricates the weatherstripping well and helps to eliminate squeaks. My only complaint with the stuff is that it leaves a nice little residue on the edge of the windows that is very difficult to remove.

Last edited by Eich; 03-03-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 500
ok thanks for the advice...
but is the noise produced by the rubbing of the window against the rubber or is it the actual window that rattles?

My windows seem like they do both... rattle and rub against the rubber frame between the front and rear window?

What has been your experience taking it to the dealer?
Old 03-03-2004, 06:39 PM

2010 ML350 CDI AMG Sports, BMW e92 335i (sold), CLK240 Avantgarde (sold)
Originally posted by dbessa
What has been your experience taking it to the dealer?
Hi there,

I've also got a rattle in my window just like yours, seems like something was a bit loose from the beginning which has became looser as times go by, really annoying for a car that's very quiet.

Will let you know my experience with the dealers in the next few weeks as I'm supposed to take it back to them to rectified. So far, it's been a nightmare!

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Ho
Old 03-03-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK Coupe 200 Komp 53 Plate
I have the same thing tried lub but no joy the dealer is going to replace all the weather strips next saturday on the 13th apparently they have change design? who knows

Neil
Old 03-04-2004, 09:20 AM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Yes, the Krytox is only good for that sound of glass rubbing against the weatherstripping.

Fortunately, my windows don't rattle - at least not when they are in the full-up position. My drivers-side window does rattle a little when it's down completely.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by cliffybabe
I have the same thing tried lub but no joy the dealer is going to replace all the weather strips next saturday on the 13th apparently they have change design? who knows

Neil
Hi,
My glass produces the same glass-weather strip rubbing noise. But I dont think the glass rattles, up or down.

Since by now you may have changed the strips, has the noise level improved? How has the designed changed? Not sure if my dealer will do the same in SIngapore.

Oh, and where do you put the lub? I may want to give that a shot too.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by 209MAD
Hi,
My glass produces the same glass-weather strip rubbing noise. But I dont think the glass rattles, up or down.

Since by now you may have changed the strips, has the noise level improved? How has the designed changed? Not sure if my dealer will do the same in SIngapore.

Oh, and where do you put the lub? I may want to give that a shot too.
I put the lub down the side of each window, as for the seals being replaced its sorted the problem no more squeaky noises or rubbing down the windows appartenly design issue

Regards

Neil
Old 03-16-2004, 04:34 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
If you try that Krytox lubrication, don't put it directly on your windows. You'll never get it off !!

I applied the Krytox directly to the weatherstripping - everywhere that it comes in contact with the window. I let it set up overnight before closing the windows. Even still, it left a slight bit of residue on the edge of the windows.

I haven't heard any other mention of a new weatherstrip design. I've got an air leak on the driver's side window. It gets particularly annoying at speeds over 60 MPH. I wonder if the new weatherstrip design would solve this ?

Cliffy - Did you receive any paperwork from your MB dealer that said exactly what they did and what part numbers were used ? It would be nice to mention this to my dealer.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:59 PM

Na Eich but i'll see what i can come up with i know it took 10 days to get the parts from germany, i belive they used the strips from the 04 batch.

Neil
Old 03-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 500
I continue to have the same problem, please try to find out what they did to yours to fix it....

thanks...
Old 03-22-2004, 06:56 PM

Na Eich but i'll see what i can come up with i know it took 10 days to get the parts from germany, i belive they used the strips from the 04 batch.

Neil
Hi Neil,

Any luck finding out what's the part number they've used on your windows?

.....quite desperate here as I'm taking my car in tomorrow for the repair.

Thanks,
Ho
Old 03-23-2004, 04:05 AM

The dealer wouldnt give me a part number, all he said was that they used the new window seal/weather strip form the 04's

Regards

Neil
Old 03-23-2004, 04:07 AM

The dealer wouldnt give me a part number, all he said was that they used the new window seal/weather strip form the 04's

Regards

Neil
Ok, will ask them and see what they can do.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 500
Kaiju,

Let me know how it goes with your window strip and what the dealer says... I have an appt. next week to take my car in...

thanks...
Old 03-23-2004, 07:57 PM

took the car in today but it doesn't look like they will bother with the rattle noise made by the weather strip, my rattle is more or less something physical that's gone lose in the passenger window. Will update on it when I get my car back today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ho
Old 03-23-2004, 08:33 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts

Regards

Neil
The 04's have the same problem.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by RJC
The 04's have the same problem.
Originally posted by RJC
My 04 does the same thing...MB quality, it always lets you know its not there.
I was going to say..... o4' seems to have the same problem??
Old 03-25-2004, 08:13 PM

Very long story.....

Hi,

Here's my nightmare at the dealers that I mentioned earlier on the post......

Back on the 27th January I took my car in for a "rattle window" to be repaired, but they acutally found out my catalytic converter was lose and they blamed it on that. They ordered the part which they said will take 3 - 4 weeks, so they returned to car back to me and promised that they will call me when the part is in.

The next week I took the car in again and complaint about the rattle on the passenger's side, told them its not the catalytic converter for sure, even took one of the service advisor and he agreed with me that something is definitely lose in the door. So I left the car there for the day again and got a call later to say that it's all done, ready to go.

Picked up the car and as soon as I drove out of the driveway the rattle came back! I had a look at what they've done and there was no indications that the doors were ever taken apart which the service advisor said that they will need to do to tighten something in there. From the looks of things that was done was just lubricant. There were so much that the whole window was covered with that stuff. Later I noticed there was heaps of **** starting to stuck on the window because of the lubricant on the window. I cleaned the window over the weekend and noticed there was a scratch on the window!! Took the car to my service advisor and showed it to him and also complained again that the rattle is not solve!! All he said was to wait until the catalylic converter arrives and they will do everything together including changing the scratch window.

5 weeks at least went past and never heard from the dealers so I thought I'll be nice and call to check to see if the part arrived or not but my service advisor wasn't available so this other person called me back asking "can I help you"? told her that I wanted to see if my catalytic converter has arrived or not because it's been a while that I heard anything about it and she just goes to me so you want book the car in for a service?? told her I don't know, it depends on if the part has arrived or not.... she went away and check and told me that it's here and told me to bring the car in tomorrow. I then asked her there will be a courtesy car for me right and she was like in shock! she went away and to check and got back to me to say that you will need to book inadvance. Told her that will be the case if you guys would bother to call me when the part arrived in the first place so she just shut up. She then told her about the service that will take place..... installing catalylic converter to solve the window rattle..... told her the window rattle is another issue that needs to be looked at, went through that already with the service advisor and also the windows needs to be replace because of the scratch.... she paused again and starts telling me that its the catalytic converter that is causing the rattle, was telling me that when that happens, the rattle can sound like its coming from the window, she even questioned me if I was a qualified mechanic because she was and she knows what she is talking about..... (at that stage I was so pissed!) ...... told her, how do you explain when the window is down, the rattle is gone?? told her that even your service advisor agreed with me when I took him to a ride.... she pause again and told me the next courtesy car will be in 3 weeks.....

3 weeks later (which was 2 days ago), took the car in, saw another service advisor (my service advisor had the day off), took him for a drive again and confirmed the rattle which at this stage has because much worst then 8 weeks ago.... sat down with him and he was showing me what was going to be done on my car.... catalytic converter (it was getting really loud at 1200rpm, sounded like a hole in the exhaust), new passenger window and a new weather strip.

Got the car back yesterday.... catalytic converter replaced (never felt the car this quite before), passenger window replaced, weather strip replaced and the best of all, the rattle is now gone, they couldn't tell me how they resolved it but to let me know what was replaced. My guess is they solved the rattle by replacing the window since they had to pull the whole thing apart.

BTW.... Merc's survey people called to ask me how the service went.... gave them the worst feedback and made a formal complaint about the smart *** female mechanic there. Merc Australia will contact me shortly...

Cheers,
Ho
Old 04-07-2004, 05:39 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK 320 Coupe
Hi, Kaiju.

Thanks a lot for the information.
I have a 2004 CLK and I am experiencing the exact same problem: A rattle sound from somewhere in the left side of the car comes up when the car is being accelerated. I will visit the dealer soon and have the catalytic converter inspected. I had previously had the left side front window regulator replaced and that did not solve the problem.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Almost a Member!

I know this isn't probably related, but I kept hearing a rattling sound, then a knocking sound coming from the passenger side (appeared to come from the B pillar area).

It turned out that in certain positions, the passenger seat would rattle or knock when there was no-one in it. If I changed the position of the seat I could get rid of the sound.

The trouble was it sounded like it was coming from the window, when in fact it was the seat that was causing it.

Apologies if this isn't relevant - just wanted to share the information
Old 04-07-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by samwzhang
Hi, Kaiju.

Thanks a lot for the information.
I have a 2004 CLK and I am experiencing the exact same problem: A rattle sound from somewhere in the left side of the car comes up when the car is being accelerated. I will visit the dealer soon and have the catalytic converter inspected. I had previously had the left side front window regulator replaced and that did not solve the problem.
Hi Samwzhang,

I know how you feel, the only advise I can give you is to take it back to the dealers and ask for a senior mechanic to go for a ride with you when you're about to drop the car off to do that warrenty repair, and if they still haven't repair it, you just have to keep taking it back..... that's what my service advise said to me himself

I guess I'm lucky in some ways on how it turned for me that the windows was scratched which made them to replace it which solved the problem.... I'm quite sure they had no idea how to solve that rattle, but my guess is that something was lose in there.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ho
Old 04-08-2004, 01:21 PM

2003 CLK 500, 2004 allroad quattro
Dealer told me this problem can be solved

by allowing the tech to adjust the way the window closes after you get into the CLK. You notice how the window drops a bit when the door is opened and rises to seal after the door is closed. Well the "rise amount" needs adjustment.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Window Rattle and Squeaks!?