CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Radiator changed but temperature gauge still rising higher and higher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 c300 4matic
Originally Posted by dswclk500
Ok, so I have some news...MBNZ230 thats very interesting that you pointed that out I am actually going to see if its still like that? If it is what should I do?

So I went to pick up my car from the mechanic it was left with him over the weekend. He claimed he could not see anything wrong with it. The fan apparently start working again.

So I picked it up took it to another mechanic, the mechanic put it on a machine, nothing came up except my brake lamp being out. He checked out everything else and everything appeared good, except that he mentioned I have bad oil leak around one of the gaskets. But he started the car let be idle temp did not raise. He drove it around temp did not raise. So I picked it up lastnight and drove about 20 miles home and the temp stayed around 80/90. Same thing this morning temp stayed around 80/90. The mechanic maybe it was sometime type of air in there or something that just needed to work itself out. Because now the car is back to normal with a new radiator of course. But honestly I think when I left it over the other mechanics garage during the weekend, he probably realized he made a mistake with something and fixed it. Because it is so strange how now everything seems to be back working. Thankful but kind of puzzled.
Seeing how your air bleed tube is like that going through the engine. i wouldn't be surprise that there was air in the system. the air bleed tube might be blocked. you should fix it, if not next time you change the coolant, it might overheat again. I would still keep an eye on it now everything is back to normal.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator changed but temperature gauge still rising higher and higher-11engine1clk500.jpg  
Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM

2006 Convertible CLK 500
So how do I fix it, I am very hands on and don't mind getting my hands dirty
Old 05-12-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
Originally Posted by mbnz230
Seeing how your air bleed tube is like that going through the engine. i wouldn't be surprise that there was air in the system. the air bleed tube might be blocked. you should fix it, if not next time you change the coolant, it might overheat again. I would still keep an eye on it now everything is back to normal.
That's not an air bleed tube. What you circle in the photo is the supply hose from the coolant reservoir to the engine. That is the proper arrangement for the hose. It is possible there was air in the system which eventually worked its way out, but that doesn't account for the cooling fan not working.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM

2006 Convertible CLK 500
Thanks Florida, but now the other mechanic is saying the fan is working fine. He also mentioned that a fan either works or it doesn't there is no off and on? Is that true?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 PM

Well the fan is controlled by the coolant temp sensor that sends a signal to the ECU and eventually the car sends a signal to a relay and the relay turns the fan off or on. So the fan could be bad - but then it would never run, or the relay might be failing - but then the fan probably would never run, or the temp sensor might be failing, which could affect the fan operation as well as fuel mapping to the injectors and smog controls based on that it tells the ECU the temperature of the coolant.

It's not as simple as a "fan either works or it doesn't." You really need a better mechanic.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
85 911 Targa
The wrench probably checked the connector to insure it is snug. in doing so probably made it seat properly plus air being worked out. He got lucky.

Yes, fan works or not if it has a good power source.

Just monitor the temps and let us know in a week or two please.

In the end, All's well that ends well. :-)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:43 PM

2006 Convertible CLK 500
Thank you so much definitely will keep you all updated
Old 05-12-2016, 01:46 PM

2023 c300 4matic
Originally Posted by floridawriter
That's not an air bleed tube. What you circle in the photo is the supply hose from the coolant reservoir to the engine. That is the proper arrangement for the hose. It is possible there was air in the system which eventually worked its way out, but that doesn't account for the cooling fan not working.
to my understanding that is the air tube, it makes sense to me that it is the air tube, it sits at the highest point in the coolant system. the supply tube is down at the bottom of the tank. if the air tube is twist like that it could get blocked.

**did you see that her air bleed tube is not installed correctly in her video?
Attached Thumbnails Radiator changed but temperature gauge still rising higher and higher-tank.jpg  

Last edited by mbnz230; 05-12-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:36 PM

It doesn't hold air, the tubing holds coolant. It is a closed coolant system so there is no air in the system. As the coolant heats up and expands the expanded coolant backs up into the coolant reservoir. When the engine and coolant cools off the coolant contracts and coolant is sucked from the reservoir back into the engine. But there is no air in the system at all. All modern cars since about 1965 have a closed cooling system with a coolant reservoir to hold expanded coolant.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:47 PM

2023 c300 4matic
Originally Posted by floridawriter
It doesn't hold air, the tubing holds coolant. It is a closed coolant system so there is no air in the system. As the coolant heats up and expands the expanded coolant backs up into the coolant reservoir. When the engine and coolant cools off the coolant contracts and coolant is sucked from the reservoir back into the engine. But there is no air in the system at all. All modern cars since about 1965 have a closed cooling system with a coolant reservoir to hold expanded coolant.
i was saying that the air in the system bleeds from that tube and the op's air bleed tube is not install correctly. i am not saying it holds air, air comes out from it and that's why it's call the air bleed tube, what else would you call it?

you said that's not an air bleed tube, look at figure 6 below link:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nk_Removal.htm

Last edited by mbnz230; 05-12-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
pretty sure your old mechanic figured he plugged something in wrong and didn't mention it as you said. Find a specialized indy, dont take your car to people who have no experience with them. The engine in your car is bulletproof if taken care of.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:34 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Unless you have some blockages (which would be very bad!) any air in the coolant system will self-bleed within minutes of the thermostat opening.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 AM

2023 c300 4matic
I like to see how the area circle in the picture is connected on you car.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator changed but temperature gauge still rising higher and higher-38247006.jpg