CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 350 AMG SPORT CAB - Safe Wheel solution..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
magLipVE
CLK 350 AMG SPORT CAB - Safe Wheel solution..

This is my first post to the forum forgive me for waiting until I have an issue then writing a paper, but rest assured when I have reaped the rewards of your excellent advice, I will pay it forward at first opportunity.

I am a first time owner and been waiting some time to join the club, its been a month since I acquired my 2005 CLK 350 AMG Sport Cab in silver, grey leather, black top - and I must say I am absolutely loving it, however there was only one thing letting the car down and that was the condition of the wheels.

Now initially I had booked it into Prestine, Woburn (UK) and sat on a waiting list to get them good as new. The outfit comes highly recommended, Even more so 'highly recommended by H A Lock', who is by all accounts is decorated! So I am looking forward to getting this done.. but in the meantime the boy in me spot's a more interesting prospect and before you know it i'm driving home with 4 almost new - 2014/15 diamond cut 18's, with lots of treads worth of conti. left in perfect condition.. more than my current set of Michelin anyway.

So the premise for this purchase - They are both OEM staggered..tick, they are both 18's.. tick, the tyre and section is almost identical (+10 mm front tyre width / +.5J Rim only).. tick (there's loads of room looking at the arches). So I loosen them all off, jack it up, get out my axle stands, remove a front and rear, locate and size up.. boom!! offsets.. learning time.. A bit of research later and I know i'm going from:

A1714011602 front 7.5J x 18 H2 ET37
A1714011702 rear 8.5J x 18 H2 ET 30
M12 x 1.5 / 40mm bolts

To:

A2074010000 front 8J x 18H2 ET45
A2124010300 rear 8.5J x 18H2 ET48
M14 x 1.5 / 27mm bolts

All - PCD 112x5 / 66.6mm hub / Original Mercedes (part numbers included)

I now understand the new wheels are from (W212) (MERCEDES AMG 2014-2015 E-CLASS SPORT) as I can tell - the photo is taken from the MB brochure as a check so can be pretty sure.

Fortunately the offset can be corrected, but it leaves me with a predicament on the bolts.. I am resided to the fact that there's another £200 of H&R kit to go, and probably some new bolts (if I can firstly confirm where to get M12 R14 40mm-fronts & 28mm-rears from

I don't mind coming out towards the wheel arches slightly at the same time as there is plenty of room and I like the widened look, but understand my hub spigot length at the front on the 209 is quite large. I believe the front spacer H&R 556659 would do the job bringing it out 15MM, although I must admit I am a little confused how this doesn’t increase hub diameter as there must be some material there between spigot and alloy?

According to the very useful sticky on - http://www.rimsntires.com/ To get back to my original locations I need to bring the fronts out 14mm (which is covered by the above part nicely) once the bolt issue is resolved. required M12 x 1.5 R14 40mm (approx 10 through the rim / 15 through the spacer / 15 into hub - please correct if there is an unsafe assumption in here on a hubcentric bolt though H&R. Noting then that my current bolts are 40mm M12 R12? 1.5 but wont sit in the new rims M14 R14 holes, my research tells me the M14 wheel hole is not an issue but the R14 location is critical - correct?.

On the rears we have an 18mm offset to correct again using the above sticky link (thanks) I would this time opt for a 20mm bolt on H&R hubcentric although this would again leave me with the bolts dilemma of a different nature - in that I need to run shorter M12 x 1.5 R14 27mm into the spacer which in turn bolts on nicely to the hub with its supplied M12 bolts (of course checking carefully the depth into hub avoiding handbrake mech - (thanks forum's)

Thanks for reading all that, and hope it made sense, in essence the offset is perhaps not an issue but combined with the bolts i'm tempted not to go down this road.. i am persevering because I absolutely love these wheels for the car, and i'm a sucker for trying to do something a bit different it seems. Likely to either go for it if theres nothing screaming - STOP YOUR RISKING IT ALL FOR THE LOVE OF, or cash in my chips based on your expert provisions, so I am at your Merc'y (sorry that's bad).

Ant..