CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Which options? CLK320 Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which options? CLK320 Cab

Newbie question! (Australia)

I am in the final throws of placing my order for a CLK320 Cabriolet and having trouble deciding on the final options.

So far my list includes;
Parktronic
Anti-Dazzle Mirror
Leather/Wood steering wheel & Gear Shift
Burr Walnut Trim
Rear side Airbags
Luxury Front seats Heated & Ventilated
17" Wheels 5 spoke Sport with Sport Suspension
Bose Sound system

COMAND,Metallic Paint & Power seats are Standard in AUST.!

ALso, in this country the car and options are roughly twice the price of those in EU or USA. (List price for a base CLK320 Cabriolet is equivalent to US$98,700 plus US$12,000 worth of options as listed above.)

I have 2 options that I would like, but cannot justify the price for, and they are the Xenon Headlights and the Keyless Go ! about US$2,500 each.

My QUESTIONS are;

1. Am I making a mistake by not including these options. ie, are they to die for?

2. Is there any options that are a waste of time or must have that I have not listed above.

I have an appointment to finalise my order early next week and would value anyones opinions!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
I have a bi-xenon headlight option in my 2004 CLK320 coupe and I love it. The car looks great and it's functional as well. I no longer hate night-time driving.

For me, I prefer this option more than the wood steering wheel because the wood steering wheel only gives better look but no added functionality.

In Canada, it comes with the headlamp washers and costs only $1450 CAN.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:59 PM

I think the parking device is just annoying and really unnecessary as is the keyless go. Its not hard to push a button on the key fob.

I saved money by not buying xenon lights. Regular lights are fine.

The wood steering wheel is an excellent choice. It really breaks up the interior. I have an ash interior and its toooo much of one color so I got black mats instead of the ash ones and it really livens up the interior.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:45 AM

GF
Hey RR

I'm also in Australia, where u located? I'm in sydney

I strongly Recommend BI-Xenon from factory (washer and leveling system)
Because if you decide to retrofit later you will not able to get washer and level system. The look is just STUNNING on bi-xenon ....PIMP

Forget about Keyless go (imagin if someone has your ID card)

Parktronics is not bad if you got extra cash (useful)

I dont even think BOSE sounds is neccesary, the only difference is extra subwofer at the back seat

Rear Air bag if you do carry people regularly.

Extra options on the car will NOT affect the Resales value of the CLK. Its all depends on the year and model.

but lot of people likes SUNroof, metallic and Bi-xenon.

hope this info assist you

DTMCLK

Last edited by DTMCLK; 03-27-2004 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:46 AM

2010 ML350 CDI AMG Sports, BMW e92 335i (sold), CLK240 Avantgarde (sold)
Don't listen to DTMCLK! just because he is getting the Bi-xenon on his car just kidding..... but seriously, you can save heaps of money by getting it retro-fitted later, don't think the washer is important here in Australia, I'm sure it's designed for the snow conditions just like heated seat..... that's my opinion.

Parktronic - personal taste... but seriously, I wouldn't mind having it if it was standard, no way I would pay that much for it unless you can't park!

Anti-Dazzle Mirror - Just use your hands ....folding mirror option is more useful.

Leather/Wood steering wheel & Gear Shift - wood steering wheel will be very hot on any sunny day

Burr Walnut Trim - personal taste.

Rear side Airbags - useful if you always carrying rear passengers

Luxury Front seats Heated & Ventilated - personal taste but I think you wouldn't need that in Australia

17" Wheels 5 spoke Sport with Sport Suspension - best choice if you were keeping it as standard, waste of money if you are going to do mods on it.

Bose Sound system - like what DTMCLK said

PS....What colour are you getting? including the interior. your not thinking of getting Avantgarde? the blue windows looks really good compare to the green ones on the Elegance.

Cheers,
Ho
Old 03-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Banned

Thanks everyone. I am very pleased to be getting the advice being offered.

To elaborate on my tastes a little more.

DTMCLK, I live in Melbourne.

kaiju, I have chosen Avantgarde in iolite blue with pebble beige interior, enhanced with the Burr Walnut trim and as conferred by Nebraska99, the Steering wheel and gear stick wood/Leather trim to break up the interior and add some extra class.

Why, Iolite Blue? I like the dark colours but believe that there is an overdone fad of Black cars on the road at the moment. In Melbourne, every woman driving there kids to school in the mornings is in a Black BMW X5, Lexus RX330 or Jeep. (Just a taste thing and not a judgment on anyone who chose a black MB). plus I do think the Iolite Blue looks classy.

Keyless Go is a bygone thought. Sounds like a waste of dough. (If it was $500, I would be all over it)

Parktronic, Anti-Dazzle Mirror & Bose sound system by all accounts are somewhat debatable.

Rear Airbags is a must as I have a 3 & 6 year old. (If there was an option to get plastic coated leather in the rear, I would have it at any price! lol! Sorry kids, no more food in Dads car)

Bi-Xenon is probably my one item that needs to be added, I like the idea that it noticably improves night vision. (Thanks mis3)

Heated & Vented seats: A friend has a Lexus LS430 with these in it and it is great. Should add some extra days of top down driving I figured.

17" Wheels 5 spoke Sport with Sport Suspension : I dont like the standard wheels, but wont be doing any mods. I like the idea of it being lowered and having low profile tyres, so this option is the best suitable way.

Lastly, I confer that any amount spent on options are for my use only and will make little or even no difference to the resale price. As I plan on having the car for full term of a lease, this doesnt really worry me! but yes, I do recognise this.

RR-in-Aust
Old 03-27-2004, 07:35 AM

GF
iolite blue is a classy colour, which I personally would prob go for after obsidian black (status and Class) which is what I have now.

Here is a good photo of your colour

http://germancarfans.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=7530

I love to visit Mel oneday... Maybe a drive down for a cruise.

DTMCLK
Old 03-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Banned

DTMCLK what wheels do you have?

The photo you linked makes the stock wheels look good! I think they are the low profiles though!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:02 AM

GF
My new Wheel set is coming which will be carlsson 1/16 BE 18in

The link I sent previously looks like is 17in wheel, and I believe has wider and lower profile tyre.

If your interested in new wheels I would suggest you just use the stock 16in and change the wheels after so so you can can first familiarise with 16in wheel and its handling then compare to 18in wheels.

cheers
DTM
Old 03-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Banned

CORRECTION

"kaiju, I have chosen Avantgarde in iolite blue with pebble beige interior"

I meant Elegance, NOT Avantgarde.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:18 PM

2010 ML350 CDI AMG Sports, BMW e92 335i (sold), CLK240 Avantgarde (sold)
if you are talking about the standard wheels on the car with "HMK" number plate then that is acutally standard on the Avantgarde only, the photo is actually a 16".

The same 17" advantgarde wheel:
http://216.117.199.231/Mercedes-CLK-...-Class-047.jpg

Optional 17" advantgarde wheels with sports suspension:
http://216.117.199.231/Mercedes-CLK-...-Class-051.jpg

Optional 17" Elegance wheels:
http://216.117.199.231/Mercedes-CLK-...-Class-030.jpg

(sometimes you will need to refresh the page to open the correct page)

NOTE:
Elegance wheels are 7 spoke, Avantgarde wheels are 5 spoke. you may want to get with the dealer to see if the 17" wheel with sports suspension is available with Elegance, I thought it was only for Avantgarde... I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Ho