CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK500 Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500 Problems

I dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday with a list of 5 fixes:

1. Front brake squeak upon light braking. Car only has 4800 miles.

2. FM reception sucks.

3. Flickering/fluttering noise from the engine. My brother thought it was just the sound of the valvetrain, but I think it's too loud to be anything "normal."

4. Upon a cold start yesterday, a loud high pitched pumping sound coming from the engine. My guess is water pump.

5. Replace stock air filters with K&N filters.

The good news is this time I was given a Mercedes loaner instead of the beautiful Dodge Neon I was given over the summer during a service call. The bad news is I'm a 25 year old guy pimping a Mercedes C240 station wagon for the foreseeable future.

I called this morning to get an update. All I was told is that some parts were ordered (couldn't tell me what the parts were), a technician could also hear the sounds I heard (thanks, guy!!), and that the shop foreman will be in on Monday and take a look at the car. So I'm sure the mechanics will be drinking some early New Year's beers next week while working on my poor car.

I'll keep you guys updated with the problems/fixes in case anyone here is having the same problems.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:02 PM

CLK500
problems

Where are you having the work done???? Those are VERY common problems with 2003 model. Most dealers in our area don't fix the problem correctly, so don't be surprised if they "can't" find the brake problem and you make return visits.

Old 12-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: problems

Originally posted by JAY500
Where are you having the work done???? Those are VERY common problems with 2003 model. Most dealers in our area don't fix the problem correctly, so don't be surprised if they "can't" find the brake problem and you make return visits.

In the Chicago suburbs. They must have found some problem as they ordered "some" parts. What has left me scratching my head is they couldn't tell me what those parts actually are.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: Re: problems

Sorry, didn't notice you were from Schaumburg. It's at the MB dealer in Naperville.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Almost a Member!

And for my third post in a row....

Are you experiencing any of these problems or know someone in the Chicago area who has? Any stories/recommendations on good dealers? This is likely my last trip to Naperville unless the car is completely fixed and I get my car back in a timely fashion without the usual dealer lies.

Old 12-27-2003, 09:19 PM

CLK500
Naperville has a decent reputation, but I have never been there. MB of Arlington Heights is the old Mark Motors, they are real good.

When you pick up your car you will have a warranty receipt which shows all the work done and parts that were replaced. Read posts on " Brake Squeal Revisited" for mine and others troubles on the brakes

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=53439

Good Luck!!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:05 PM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
I too have the brake sqeak problem. I've got 6,800 miles and it just started to sqeak last week.

I've also had to replace the fuel injection controller. It sent out a false coolant signal which caused my coolant fan to continuously run at full speed. My car was in the shop for a week until MB could order the CLK500 specific part.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
#4 is most likely emmissions air pump if the noise only happens on cold starts and shuts off after a few minutes. Some pumps are quieter than others.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Latest update:

Got a call from a service manager asking me when I can come in and take a test drive with their technician so I can identify the engine noise that is causing me concern. This, after I was told onSaturday that the technician heard the sound I was describing and they were diagnosing the problem.

My car has been out of my possession since last Friday and until at least this Friday when I have a chance to take them for a spin. Ridiculous. I got much better service when I was driving a Grand Cherokee.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:06 PM

03 clk 320
not too bad

Hey

I have had my car in for repairs 5 times so far. It still isn't right. I posted a reply about xenons with specifics. they haven't offered a loaner except once. Its winter now anyway and i drive a truck.

you are young to have that car

I am 33 and have a 320.

John
Old 01-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Almost a Member!

You were right. My dealer is useless.

1. Brake squeak not fixed. Dealer could not duplicate the sound so they won't do anything about it.

2. Engine fluttering. I took the technician on a test drive and pointed out the sound I was talking about. He heard it, didn't know what the problem is. No fix.

3. FM reception. Couldn't duplicate so no fix.

4. High pitched noise said it was normal. I was so steamed at this point I didn't listen to his explanation.

5. K&N air filters. Installed and they charged me $68 for the pleasure of having them installed. What a *******g joke.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:36 PM

CLK500
Sorrybe firm.

Sounds like your visit was pretty worthless. This web-site is great for doing your OWN research. Search through the threads for your problems and corrections others have done to fix them. Print them out and get some proof of reoccurring problems. Visit the dealer next and be firm. Talk to your original salesman and try to get them fixed correctly. Remember Lemon Laws and don't be afraid to mention those 2 Buzz words.

The part that really blows is a Mercedes stands for quality, but these problems sound like a KIA. Many on this sight have sold their 2003 for 2004 models for the fact of not acheiving proper fixes on very common problems. It took me 4 visits and all is fixed and I couldn't be happier, but the process really sucked!!!

Again.....Good Luck!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Don't you just love the dealership! They can never find or hear what you hear!
When I was leasing my 1999 CLK430 My CD changer would cause static only in the summer time. Of course they could not duplicate the problem and it never got fixed!!

Sometimes they make you feel like you're making this stuff up!!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:15 PM
CKT

Brake Squeal Repaired!

I have a 2002 ML500 with horrible brake squeal, I took my car at Knauz Mercedes in Lake Bluff, IL. They applied some sort of graphite compound to all brake pads. I heard this was a experimental trial but so far so good! 20K driven already

I highly recomend Knauz MB to all members living in Chicagoland area!
Old 03-27-2004, 09:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: Re: problems

Originally posted by ChiCLK500
You were right. My dealer is useless.

1. Brake squeak not fixed. Dealer could not duplicate the sound so they won't do anything about it.

2. Engine fluttering. I took the technician on a test drive and pointed out the sound I was talking about. He heard it, didn't know what the problem is. No fix.

3. FM reception. Couldn't duplicate so no fix.

4. High pitched noise said it was normal. I was so steamed at this point I didn't listen to his explanation.

5. K&N air filters. Installed and they charged me $68 for the pleasure of having them installed. What a *******g joke.
Find a new dealer ASAP as all the issues you mention are well known problems for 03 and some 04 W209's.