CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Replaced fuel pump now rear SAM is bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLK350 Cabriolet (A209)
Originally Posted by Jerry Cooper
Tracking issue down. Hot Start from Heat soak and operation of design of Bosch ME 2.8. Also pump system applies to early 2004clk55amg and c32amg as the $1200 fuel pump was only used in these models. later 2004 changed. On hot restart injecter rail and fuel pumps lock down start. Involves AMG ECU interaction. Even though 57 psi rail will run engine under normal condition, aftermarket pumps may not overcome heat and pressure of fuel in rail. Reviewed vapor pressure curve of gasoline between 80c and 100c. Found that delphi aftermarker pumps will not overcome pressure of heated fuel in rail 62psi. I could not find spec on the Bosch pumps. I did find that Worldparts via AdvancedAuto offers a Spectra pump that will fit in CLK tank with max output of 120psi and 60 gal per hour. Seems that Bosch Australia has aftermarket to rebuild MB saddle pump systems, where US does not. Use your calculator to convert flows of the bosch kits. Bosch 0 986 580 372.0 986 580 184 which additional info found on c321 amg forom
Hope you find your fix soon! My issue was with the ECU as well. Keep us posted.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG Coupe
Fixed. Fuel issue. New Spectra pump. No more pump locks, power to it it restarts now after rev limit and deceleration fuel cuts. Sam still quicky. think it has a little corrosion and some terminal that need cleaning. BTH both Airtex and Spectra use parts from each other! So just for knowledge the Spectrea SP5119M fuel pump and the Airtex E86ppM are identical, one from Mexico and other from Canada. Comfirmed when I wrote Spectra because the Spectra pump has a Airtex molded part stamped Airtex!
Old 05-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Fixed. Fuel issue. New Spectra pump. No more pump locks, power to it it restarts now after rev limit and deceleration fuel cuts. Sam still quicky. think it has a little corrosion and some terminal that need cleaning. BTH both Airtex and Spectra use parts from each other! So just for knowledge the Spectrea SP5119M fuel pump and the Airtex E86ppM are identical, one from Mexico and other from Canada. Comfirmed when I wrote Spectra because the Spectra pump has a Airtex molded part stamped Airtex!

Hi Jerry - Happy to hear your problem is fixed. Thank you for coming back and letting us know how you resolved the issue. I'm sure that information will help others in the future. My intermittent starting issue seems to have been resolved by replacing the ECU, car has been starting every time since it was replaced. Still not sure I needed a new fuel pump and rear SAM which was replaced before the ECU, but since I'm keeping my car for a weekend driver it's ok. Take care - Mike.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG Coupe
Additional note on aftermarket pump install. Both pumps are very sensitive to running dry and dirty strainer. The w209 shuts pump down when condition happens on rev limit and during deceleration, then powers the pump again on run again by ecu. I experienced both problems at separate times. Even though I had a less than 1 year old Airtex pump, I solved the problem by monitoring the voltage at the pump connection going into the fuel tank. I still had power to pump motor, but no rotation, thus pump locked up. In speaking with engineers strainers start the failure process by dry running the pump, causing intermediate failure at first, then in long run longer shutdowns before final failure. When changing a saddle pump make sure that fuel supply line fully clicks into place, siphon return line and relief fuel line are attached to top of pump bucket to fully cool pump keeping the pump bucket full of fuel at all times. Once new pump installed with the white plastic top, run the car and fuel can be seen splashing against the plastic thus you can tell they did not pop back off as pump was put back in tank. Also it is a good time to make sure gaskets fully sealed. The black gaskets were recalled a few years ago, and replaced by green ones which seal much better.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:51 PM

Additional note on aftermarket pump install. Both pumps are very sensitive to running dry and dirty strainer. The w209 shuts pump down when condition happens on rev limit and during deceleration, then powers the pump again on run again by ecu. I experienced both problems at separate times. Even though I had a less than 1 year old Airtex pump, I solved the problem by monitoring the voltage at the pump connection going into the fuel tank. I still had power to pump motor, but no rotation, thus pump locked up. In speaking with engineers strainers start the failure process by dry running the pump, causing intermediate failure at first, then in long run longer shutdowns before final failure. When changing a saddle pump make sure that fuel supply line fully clicks into place, siphon return line and relief fuel line are attached to top of pump bucket to fully cool pump keeping the pump bucket full of fuel at all times. Once new pump installed with the white plastic top, run the car and fuel can be seen splashing against the plastic thus you can tell they did not pop back off as pump was put back in tank. Also it is a good time to make sure gaskets fully sealed. The black gaskets were recalled a few years ago, and replaced by green ones which seal much better.
Thanks for the additional info Jerry! Just a quick update, my car has been running great and starting every time, so I guess the ECU was the culprit all along. Take care everybody - Mike.