CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problem with instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Problem with instrument cluster

Having a problem with the instrument cluster in my 2006 CLK 500

My instrument cluster doesn't come on, until I have been driving for a while. Sometimes it will come on straight away, but usually does not come on until I have driven for a while. It seems to be taking longer to come on.

I'm not sure if this is likely to be an issue with the battery, or with loose connections, or a fault in the instrument cluster, as I have read these various reasons on the forum

Anyone else who has experienced a similar problem?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:25 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
So it does not even come one when you open the door? I'd suspect it's a bad cluster, but here are a few things to check. First, check or just go ahead and replace fuse 42 (cabin panel). Remove the cluster and check the wiring harness to make sure it's securely clipped in place and there are no loose wires. To remove the cluster, you insert special tools into the slots on either side of it to release it from the dash. The tool is nothing but a long (8-inch) flat blade. You can make your own from a stiff wire (coat hanger) or a wooden stick (like a skinny popsicle stick). The first three photos here may help you see what you are doing:

http://benzbits.com/w203/cluster.html

If all of this is good, then you need a proper diagnosis. It could be a defective cluster, or a bad EIS or bad CAN bus wiring. A tech using SDS and some diagnostic steps should be able to tell what's wrong.