CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Soft top issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2017 | 10:08 PM

CLK 350 Convertible
Soft top issue

I had ignition replaced and now the soft top will not respond. Correlation?
Old 03-25-2017 | 01:26 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Do you mean you had the EIS (electronic ignition switch) replaced? Yes, it's possible that is the cause. The EIS must be coded properly to match your car being a 209-series cabriolet. If not, this could cause issues. Another possibility is that this problem is a coincidence and you have an issue with one of the microswitches in the soft top system giving an improper signal.

I guess my first question is, "What happens you you try to operate the soft top with the center console switch?" If you get nothing, i.e. no sounds of the pump running, no messages on the instrument cluster MFD panel, then it could be the switch itself. If you do get messages or sounds, then it's a hydraulic or microswitch issue, likely unrelated to the ignition switch service. That will require a proper diagnosis of the soft top controller to determine the culprit.

If the switch does nothing at all, then here are a few things to try:

First see if you can raise and lower the windows with the soft top switch. To lower, tap the switch down one briefly, then release, and immediately press down and hold it. This should lower all the windows. You can try the same operation with the switch but in the up position to raise the windows. If this works, then the switch is working and the problem lies elsewhere.

If the switch seems to not respond at all, try the "convenience" open with your key fob. Stand outside the car, about a foot from the door handle, with the doors closed. Aim your key fob at the black square IR sensor on the door handle and press the unlock button on the SmartKey once briefly, then press and hold unlock it while continuing to aim it at the IR sensor. This is detail on page 106 of your owner's manual. If this works, then it's the switch. If not, it could be either a bad IR sensor in the door handle (a common problem) or a miscoded EIS.
Old 03-25-2017 | 10:18 PM

CLK 350 Convertible
Thank you for responding. The night before I had to take it to the shop, I had the top down and could close it with no problem. I was having no issue with the top until this service. I've tried the key method (which I had no idea was a feature) and it too did not work. When I press the center console switch, I get absolutely nothing. No messages or no sounds. I talked to the service department and they tell me there is no way it is related.I am beyond frustrated as this service cost me over $1400. I take it back on Monday, and I just want to be able to use lingo that doesn't make me seem so gullible.
Old 03-25-2017 | 10:38 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Looking at the steps for replacing the EIS, there would be no reason for the shop to work in the area of the switch so unless they were doing other work, the should not have accidentally left it disconnected. If you want to check for yourself, it's actually just a matter of pulling the wood panel from the center console to check underneath. Open the ashtray, and then pull up firmly on the front edge of the wood panel - it just snaps in place. You should be able to lift it enough to inspect the wiring on the back end where the soft top control switch is located.

The other possibility is that they did not properly code the EIS. Here is what they need to check in SDS for the EIS coding:

Control Units ->
Body ->
EZS (Electronic Ignition Switch) ->
Control Unit Adaptations ->
Read Coding and Change if Necessary ->
All Codes ->

Verify the line:

Body Version: A (Cabriolet)

If this is not set properly, it may be the cause. It's always possible that something else has failed and it's just coincidental that it happened while in the shop.