CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Is the M272/M273 intake manifold air flap runner issue blown out of proportion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 SAAB 9-3
Is the M272/M273 intake manifold air flap runner issue blown out of proportion?

Hi! I am new to the forums as I am cross shopping the last year (2009) CLK350/550, as well as E350/550 coupes, and C300 coupes. From doing my research, I've noticed that there aren't anything (or so I thought) to look out for except for being sure that the transmission fluid is replaced every 40k miles like clockwork. It wasn't until last night, that I discovered, that there is a flaw with the material on a small part on the intake manifold that can break and reduced performance and check engine light. So, I have the following questions:

1. Like the title implies, has this issue (like. most other issues) been blown our of proportion?

2. I seem to hear about it more on models older than 2009. Is this issue more common on certain model years?

3. Have you experienced this issue? If so, how old was your car, and how many miles did your car have at the time of failure?

4. If you haven't had this issue, I'd also like to know how old your car is, and how many miles are on it.

5. There have been very few reports on the internet of the flaps on the inside of the intake manifold being broken from a combination of the air flap runner breaking and carbon buildup in the manifold. Has this happened to you? Should I have the indie clean the manifold for precautionary measures?

Basically, I want to know the likelihood that this issue will happen. So if I do buy a car, that has either of those engines, I can try to take out the price of repair (I think it's about $600) for an indie to replace the air flap runner with the metal one, as well as other precautionary messures, out of the purchase price of the car. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts
Mercedes
Highly likely, extremely simple fix, this has not been blown out of proportion however it should not dissuade you from purchasing one of these cars. They are an amazing value for money. It is rare that the flaps in the manifold break, it is more common for the adjuster lever to break.

--Kyle
Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM

2011 SAAB 9-3
Originally Posted by FCPEuro
Highly likely, extremely simple fix, this has not been blown out of proportion however it should not dissuade you from purchasing one of these cars. They are an amazing value for money. It is rare that the flaps in the manifold break, it is more common for the adjuster lever to break.

--Kyle
Thanks for the prompt reply! I will have an indie change that part out and hopefully they have the revised part. Overall this looks like a simple, less expensive issue to tackle than if I picked up a Lexus of the same era with a 3.5 V6 that like to go through water pumps approx every 90k miles and it's impossible to get to. Therefore, higher labor costs.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Like the "balance shaft" issues of the MY2005-2007.5 engines M272/M273 engines, this is a known problem, but it does not even seem to appear as a blip on any of the car review publications (Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc.) My gut feeling is that I;ve heard of more balance shaft failures than intake manifold failures on these engines, but that;s by no means scientific.

One thing I will say about the failure, is that if it's just that external lever that cracks, it's a simple repair with the upgraded metal aftermarket part. However, if it's an internal flap that breaks, you need to replace the entire manifold. You don't want "debris" sucked into the engine damaging valves or pistons. You can get the OEM Pieburg manifold for well under $500.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
A similar issue, but that can be a larger PITA, is if the arm on one the little stepper motors breaks - they control the flaps in the heat/AC system. Some are not too hard to get at, but others require a major disassembly of the dash.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:19 PM

2011 SAAB 9-3
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Like the "balance shaft" issues of the MY2005-2007.5 engines M272/M273 engines, this is a known problem, but it does not even seem to appear as a blip on any of the car review publications (Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc.) My gut feeling is that I;ve heard of more balance shaft failures than intake manifold failures on these engines, but that;s by no means scientific.

One thing I will say about the failure, is that if it's just that external lever that cracks, it's a simple repair with the upgraded metal aftermarket part. However, if it's an internal flap that breaks, you need to replace the entire manifold. You don't want "debris" sucked into the engine damaging valves or pistons. You can get the OEM Pieburg manifold for well under $500.
Oh yes, I'm well aware of the balance shaft issue. And I will only touch post 2007.5 cars.

I'm probably more afraid of the internals of the intake manifold breaking and throwing debris into the engine, than that little external lever. That's why I'd want the indie to clean out the the manifold for precautionary measures. I haven't heard many case of this, however.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:20 PM

2011 SAAB 9-3
Originally Posted by Yidney
A similar issue, but that can be a larger PITA, is if the arm on one the little stepper motors breaks - they control the flaps in the heat/AC system. Some are not too hard to get at, but others require a major disassembly of the dash.
Yes, that seems to be a common failure on cars when they get "up there" in age.