CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Passenger seat removal. Disconnect battery or ensure ignition is off.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004Mercedes CLK 200 K Elegance Auto. Coupe.
Passenger seat removal. Disconnect battery or ensure ignition is off.

2004 Clk 200 K Coupe Elegance Auto. SRS Issue. Diagnostic - Occupancy Sensor.

I would like to try the following two options prior to replacing the seat sensor which will be costly.

Check the wiring & connections under the seat. This will require disconnecting plugs to the sensor and possibly others and may require the seat to be removed to inspect it properly. I was advised by one MB Garage that the battery needs disconnecting before removing the passenger seat but I've read on other forums that it is ok to disconnect all the wiring if the ignition is switched off. I would like to know if switching the ignition off is adequate or could this still cause electrical issues?

Fitting an occupancy sensor module which fools the system into thinking the seat is always occupied. I'm not sure if this will resolve my SRS fault because it is only activated when somebody is in the passenger seat. The SRS fault clears without a front passenger on the next start up. I can also bring the fault up by putting pressure on the passenger seat where the sensor is located.

Any advice on the two points above would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Switching off the ignition is sufficient.
The following users liked this post:
BazUK (08-16-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 09:21 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Just don't put the key fob in the ignition and you are fine. I have pulled the seat out a couple of times before.
BazUK (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Switching off the ignition is sufficient.
First part of my query was posted a while ago but busy with other matters! Hoping to check the passenger seat wiring soon. Thanks for the reassurance. Baz
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 AM

Again thanks for the reassurance. Baz
Old 08-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by BazUK
2004 Clk 200 K Coupe Elegance Auto. SRS Issue. Diagnostic - Occupancy Sensor.

I would like to try the following two options prior to replacing the seat sensor which will be costly.

Check the wiring & connections under the seat. This will require disconnecting plugs to the sensor and possibly others and may require the seat to be removed to inspect it properly. I was advised by one MB Garage that the battery needs disconnecting before removing the passenger seat but I've read on other forums that it is ok to disconnect all the wiring if the ignition is switched off. I would like to know if switching the ignition off is adequate or could this still cause electrical issues?

Fitting an occupancy sensor module which fools the system into thinking the seat is always occupied. I'm not sure if this will resolve my SRS fault because it is only activated when somebody is in the passenger seat. The SRS fault clears without a front passenger on the next start up. I can also bring the fault up by putting pressure on the passenger seat where the sensor is located.

Any advice on the two points above would be greatly appreciated!
Getting to the battery is easy . I would do it just so you don't get the airbag light .
BazUK (08-16-2017)