CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Exhaust cut out for CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
W209 CLK55 - 2003
Exhaust cut out for CLK55

Has anybody had experience of fitting these? This is for an early CLK55, with a single rear exhaust.

I'm interested in real experience, and ideally dyno data.

I know that there are a few different views on the likely impact (reducing backpressure resulting in loss of torque being a possibility), but real data is what I am looking for.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by breeze247
Has anybody had experience of fitting these? This is for an early CLK55, with a single rear exhaust.

I'm interested in real experience, and ideally dyno data.

I know that there are a few different views on the likely impact (reducing backpressure resulting in loss of torque being a possibility), but real data is what I am looking for.
The truth is the gain from any exhaust is very minimal . Unless you go ahead and do headers , high flow cats and tuned exhaust . Then have the ecu remapped you wont notice any difference . And even after all these mods you will get 8-10 HP . This mod is mainly for sound.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
W209 CLK55 - 2003
Originally Posted by irokdastar
The truth is the gain from any exhaust is very minimal . Unless you go ahead and do headers , high flow cats and tuned exhaust . Then have the ecu remapped you wont notice any difference . And even after all these mods you will get 8-10 HP . This mod is mainly for sound.
Sorry, I can see my post looks like I was thinking of an increase in power.

The target is the ability to turn up the volume when I want. I was actually thinking about power from the perspective of how much it would lose.

When I look at a cutout, even when closed, it looks like they would disrupt the airflow.

I was thinking the impact might be something like
3 BHP less when closed
5 BHP less (or more) when open

I am expecting a loss of torque and either a loss or gain of power when open. If the losses were significant, I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by breeze247; 08-19-2017 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-19-2017, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
The exhaust flow, from the engines' view, will be negligible with the cutout open or closed unless the muffler is a reflective type muffler. Otherwise the difference is exhaust flowing through another 4-5 feet of pipe. As long as the downstream pipe is not smaller, you would not be able to tell the difference, nor probably measure it.

The clashing of gases in the exhaust manifold and at merge points (Y-pipe) , hitting obstructions like the catalytic converters, and the reflected force traveling in the opposite direction of the exhaust gases when the explosion wave exits the pipe all contribute to what is referred to as back pressure.

The pressure "seen" by the engine is more a factor of the exhaust manifold and the smallest diameter pipe it flows through after that. The length of pipe just helps reduce the noise and gets the exhaust gases away from the car occupants.

Hence, with all those other more determining factors, I agree with what irokdastar said.