CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pulling to the right! Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling to the right! Help!

Just dropped my car off for service. Does anyone know what TSB addresses this issue? Thanks in advance.

Buck
Old 04-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Hello Buck.

I am in Central Florida also and I use the Hwy 17/92 location for my service.

I don't know if a specific TSB has been issued for the pull to the right problem.

Let me share my experiences with you on this:

1 - My vehicle pulled hard right prior to delivery. I requested that it be corrected prior to delivery and I was advised to let the suspension components "settle in" for 1,000 miles. I was subsequently told be a service advisor that this advice did not make sense.

2 - I brought the vehice in around 1,000 mile and an alignment was performed. Right tire was also replaced (radial pull). Vehicle drove much better but still had some pull/drift.

3 - Brought the vehicle in again and requested that the camber/caster bolts be put on the vehicle. When I picked up the vehicle, only an alignment was performed and I was told that tires were swapped left to right but pull/drift got worse (tires were then returned to original position).

Was told by service advisor that camber/caster bolts were not needed and installation could cause a safety issue. Was told that new front tires would be ordered.

The car drives near perfect now on flat roads put always pulls/drifts on roads with a moderate grade.

Be sure to check your tire pressure after the service. My tire pressure should be 28 front and 29 rear. After both alignments, my tire pressure was set to 36 in the front. This was confirmed by the service manager using both his tire pressure gauge and my tire pressure gauge. He said he would check with alignment shop to see why this was happening but I have not heard back from him on this yet.

It is interesting that both of the Mercedes loaner cars that I drove (C230 and C230 wagon) had right pull and off-center steering wheels. I am beginning to think that all of these vehicle come from the factory with this alignment issue.

This really needs to be addressed because it does not provide for a good initial quality rating and customers do not have time to bring their vehicles to the shop multiple times why they try to address tire/alignment issues that should be addressed either at the factory or before vehicle delivery.

Let me know about your experience.

Last edited by inthemix; 04-28-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:59 AM

08 E320 Bluetec
My CLK 55 was delivered out of alignment and I made them fix that before I signed the papers. It is sensitive to the crown of the road still but I can live with it. I had an E-55 before that couldn't be fixed which led to me getting rid of it.

I find that some MB dealers either don't know how to align the cars or don't care. That's the one drawback to owning a Mercedes Benz. The idiots they hire to work on them.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:14 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
i had the same problem and i work at a benz dealer i had it aligned twice and it did not fix it but i will tell you what did! I replaced the brakes with a floating piston brake system versus stock which is fixed when i started to drive home it hit me it was not pulling to the right which leads me to believe it was brake pull the caliper was not releasing all the way and slowing down that side of the car i hope it helps
Old 05-02-2004, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK500, 04 X3, No 07 GT3RS :(
Originally posted by billybenz
I replaced the brakes with a floating piston brake system
Got pics?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:01 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
I hate to say it but i dont have a digital cam I will try to get some pics
Old 05-03-2004, 06:48 PM

thanks for the suggestions. got the car back from the dealership and it still pulls slightly to the right. not as bad as before but still there. how much to change the brake caliper?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:58 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
email me xtrmimage@aol.com and you will be suprised at the price cross drilled rotors and brembo calipers my cost to you hope i can help