CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tel Error on Command 2.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class + R170 SLK230 + A209 CLK320
Tel Error on Command 2.0

I recently bought my CLK A209 2003 facelift model and still finding out how it works!
My current issue is that I can't get my mobile phone to connect. The Command 2.0 screen is stuck with "Tel Error" message.
Can anyone please advise what the problem is and how to fix it.
Thanks for your help.
Stuart
Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Does you car have the hands free cellular system installed with the puck installed in the center console?
Old 09-16-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class + R170 SLK230 + A209 CLK320
No puck

Hello Rudeney, thank you for your response.

There is no telephone equipment; just the Command head unit. Not really sure what the puck is / looks like?

Does that mean I do not have the facility to make hands free mobile phone calls with the current equipment?

Of course, it would be great if it is possible to get it working but if not, I assume that an FM modulator with bluetooth plugged into the DC socket would work? Are there any types recommended?

With thanks.

Stuart
P.S. I finally had a few spare minutes between rain showers to inspect the problem with the roof. You are correct! There are broken elasticated straps on each side. It looks very fiddly to repair but I will give it a go when I can be sure of clement weather. Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:47 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
MBZ used a very antiquated phone interface system for the CLK (and other models until they started redesigns around 2008). Instead of BT, they were actually designed around the old analog cell standards, where the car would have a proprietary phone interface dock (for Motorola or Nokia) and a built-in 3-watt analog booster and antenna system. They kept this even after the phones that those docks were designed for became obsolete and analog cellular was sunset (around 2005). What they did to modernize the system was sell a puck that snapped into the dock, and emulated an old Motorola or Nokia analog phone to the car, but talked BT to your modern phone. The puck was not terribly expensive, but you had to have all that old analog wiring and devices installed for it to work.

Unfortunately, few cars came with the cell phone system from the factory, due to its high cost as an option (about US$1500). It is "possible" to retrofit all that but parts are expensive (about US$1000) and it takes a bit of labor to install it. Most people just forgo that and use a different solution, like a separate hands-free speaker/mic system for hands-free calling, or an FM transmitter for streaming. Note that the cars made after the MY2005 facelift will have a provision for an AUX input, too. Also, for those, there are some aftermarket devices that can replace the CD changer and emulate it to provide BT phone and streaming. I know Grom is one company that makes them.