CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Door lock bouncing even after repair. What did i do wrong ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 C200 Kompressor Elegance MY03
Door lock bouncing even after repair. What did i do wrong ?

First of all let me say this is a mega painful job on the 209. I opetes to do the reapir through the speaker whole. Not sure if i would have been better removing the lock. Only issue is you have to remove the windoe and a ton of stuff on the 209 acording to wis.

Anyway got it all together put the new spring in and its still bouncing ! Not going to lie i could have cried lol

interestingly it only bounces on unlock not lock anymore.

Any ideas ?

i also did something super stupid with the door handle cable. Good day lol
Old 09-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your problem is that you did not follow WIS, now you are in the shixxx and whining for help---why do you think there is a WIS--to stop all the guess work-------get WIS and follow the instructions and move on with your life!!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
1985(W126)500SE, 1994(W124)E420 1991(R129)500SL and The Mothership 2009 CLK550
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Your problem is that you did not follow WIS, now you are in the shixxx and whining for help---why do you think there is a WIS--to stop all the guess work-------get WIS and follow the instructions and move on with your life!!
Dang Plutoe, take it easy on him, and don't kick him so hard when he is down.

He may have read the WIS, and misunderstood the instructions, or, like me, he may have a mild case of dyslexia, and missed a crucial aspect of the procedure, buried deep in the text somewhere.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Plutoe you are such an idiot.

First of all WIS is not always correct and not the only way to do things. People have many times found better/easier way to do things.

Secondly WIS has no information about replacing the spring. Mercedes replaces the whole lock beacause of a $5 spring.

Thirdly I have found many times Mistakes and lack of information in the WIS system.

Why do these forums always have a couple of douches. If you have nothing constructive to say then dont say anything at all. No one isinterested in these kind of opinions.

my main question is about the spring not about removing the lock. Even if you do the lock properly its not going to be easy. Space is very tight and you are working with no visability most of the time.

Last edited by aleks001; 09-09-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
I did this and it works, awesome temp fix:

You can use a paper clip or a tooth pick. I did that to mine and its working beautifully no problems at all. I just painted my pick of choice black and did a good job of hiding it behind the lock itself.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shin T
I did this and it works, awesome temp fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru9xP68K9q4

You can use a paper clip or a tooth pick. I did that to mine and its working beautifully no problems at all. I just painted my pick of choice black and did a good job of hiding it behind the lock itself.
I'm to **** for fixes like this, it would bother me forever hehe. I think I know what i did wrong. I will put a picture up when i fix it with the wrong and the right way to do it. I think I placed the spring in the wrong hole.

This forum doesn't seem to have too many people that know about fixing these cars, is there a better one somewhere when it comes to DIY's. It seems the BMW crowed is a lot more hands on than the Mercedes crowd, most likely because it's a much younger demographic.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
This forum has lots of technical information, but you have to know what to look for. For example, when I tackled this problem a year and a half ago, I searched the W211 and W203 forums for solutions since the W209 is like a combination of the 2 chassis (W203 Chassis with W211 Powertrain and electronics). I found some how-to articles in the W203 forums, so I used those tutorials, fixed the problem, then went the extra mile and created a new post explaining what helped me fix it. Below is the post I wrote that includes a youtube video explaining how to properly install the spring.
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post6727044

When I installed the spring, I was able to verify physically that both the up and down positions would "snap" into place, before I went and reinstalled the unit.
The following users liked this post:
megacrazy (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
This forum has lots of technical information, but you have to know what to look for. For example, when I tackled this problem a year and a half ago, I searched the W211 and W203 forums for solutions since the W209 is like a combination of the 2 chassis (W203 Chassis with W211 Powertrain and electronics). I found some how-to articles in the W203 forums, so I used those tutorials, fixed the problem, then went the extra mile and created a new post explaining what helped me fix it. Below is the post I wrote that includes a youtube video explaining how to properly install the spring.

When I installed the spring, I was able to verify physically that both the up and down positions would "snap" into place, before I went and reinstalled the unit.
Never had this issue...but looked it up on youtube and it scared me. I bought some replacement springs from the links you posted
Old 09-13-2017, 07:49 PM

Yeah I found all the information as well. I was more referring to the fact that very few people seem to be replying to my post which indicates to me that not many people here have fixed this.

Thanks for the link, will definitely have a look.

What did you do to remove the lock from the car ? I got the lock down but I wasn't sure from WIS what was required from the window regulator side etc to actually get enough space to remove it from the vehicle. Could you give me a general run down of what you did to remove it ?

Cheers,
Aleks

Last edited by aleks001; 09-13-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Remove the speaker and pull it out through that hole:

http://benzbits.com/w209/DoorLock.pdf
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
I originally went with Rudeney's suggestion and tried the speaker hole, but after an hour of struggling I decided to remove window glass entirely and that gave me the room to remove/reinstall the lock quickly. Removing the glass wasn't bad, but realignment of the glass during reinsallation is tough. Take pictures of the glass when it's all the way up so you know where it should line up against the door/window/body seals.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Remove the speaker and pull it out through that hole:

http://benzbits.com/w209/DoorLock.pdf
It cant fit mate. I tried. If you could get it through you would either have to cut the speaker hole a little or damage it, both I'm not willing.

Last edited by aleks001; 09-13-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 PM

I originally went with Rudeney's suggestion and tried the speaker hole, but after an hour of struggling I decided to remove window glass entirely and that gave me the room to remove/reinstall the lock quickly. Removing the glass wasn't bad, but realignment of the glass during reinsallation is tough. Take pictures of the glass when it's all the way up so you know where it should line up against the door/window/body seals.
Hmm, this is what I was afraid of. It's stupid we can't just move that bar at the bottom out of the way. I'll just give it a another shot through the speaker whole (doing the repair, not removing the lock) I got it in the same holes already should be able to just get the spring right, everything is still off so it should only take me a bit, definitely seems easier then removing the glass. How lucky are the W203 guys, just take out two rivets, move the window regulator arm out of the way and pull the lock out.

THanks for the help guys, just wanted to make sure it was actually dificult and not just me being a noob. I will take some pictures when I've done the lock so hopefully it will help someone else out in the future. Hardest part was taking the cover of the lock off whilst in the door, once you part there it's not so bad. You may snap a clip or two but theres plenty more to hold that cover on, not to mention a screw as well.

Last edited by aleks001; 09-13-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I looked more closely at the photos in the WIS doc - it doesn't come out through the speaker opening, but the opening next to the speaker. The speaker has to be removed in order to get the lock to the "access opening". It looks like the window glass has to be raised, or maybe in a certain position to get the glass and regulator out of the way. Removing the glass would work, too.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 PM

I looked more closely at the photos in the WIS doc - it doesn't come out through the speaker opening, but the opening next to the speaker. The speaker has to be removed in order to get the lock to the "access opening". It looks like the window glass has to be raised, or maybe in a certain position to get the glass and regulator out of the way. Removing the glass would work, too.
From my understanding of it, you have to remove the glass so you can move the regulator out of the way. Raising the glass all the way up gets it completely out of the way. The problem is that the window regulator arm blocks access to the whole. This is what I mean about WIS not being clear. Especially when it links to other documents, because there is no clear indication of what step you actually need to complete. Because they link to a full document for a different procedure but you only may need from step 3-6 or something like that but they never explain it, so you stuck wondering do you need to do the whole thing or not.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:43 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, in this case, the WIS steps link to another doc (Remove Front Door Power Window) which also links to another doc (Remove Front Door Window Crank). They are all pretty clear, although there are a few steps duplicated among them (like remove speaker).

I've done a lot of work on MBZ cars using WIS and also on other cars using carious shop manual. WIS is far and above the best shop manual tool I have used. Sometimes I do wish it would be a bit more clear on certain steps, like exactly how to disconnect a plastic tab, but there is nothing I won't tackle knowing I have it as a guide.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:56 AM

Yes, in this case, the WIS steps link to another doc (Remove Front Door Power Window) which also links to another doc (Remove Front Door Window Crank). They are all pretty clear, although there are a few steps duplicated among them (like remove speaker).

I've done a lot of work on MBZ cars using WIS and also on other cars using carious shop manual. WIS is far and above the best shop manual tool I have used. Sometimes I do wish it would be a bit more clear on certain steps, like exactly how to disconnect a plastic tab, but there is nothing I won't tackle knowing I have it as a guide.
I've only seen BMW's TIS so that's all I can compare to and I think TIS is clearer than Mercedes WIS. Don't get me wrong WIS is fantastic but I've found multiple issues with it.

When I was removing the roof lining, they completely omitted a step. There is a aluminium sunroof holder that attaches to the drain Chanel and to the roof lining and it needs to be removed for the headliner to drop. They completely missed this step, wasted a good hour because of this.

The clarity between switching documents is absolutely shocking.

For example it says "remove bottom half of rear door card". Then you follow the link and the document title is "Removing rear door card". It is then impossible to tell from what step you actually need to start, because you do not need to remove the whole door card, yet in the document linked to it has no where that specify how to just remove the bottom part, so then you go and start guessing from the document what does and doesn't have to be removed.

Same with door lock actuator. It says loosen screws for window regulator and slide arm out to get more room (something like that). Then they link you to a removing regulator document, which links you to removing window document, again you have no idea what steps you actually need. I suspect for this job you only need to undo a bold or two and that bottom arm should be able to get out of the way, but I have very poor knowledge of how window regulator work and hold the window so I didn't want to mess with it. Again really, really confusing. When everything is on one page it's fantastic, soon as they take you to other pages, the confusion probably rises a good 20% per page they take you to lol Because most of the time you do not need to follow the whole procedure on the new document but only a partial section, which part, only someone who has done the job before could know.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by aleks001

For example it says "remove bottom half of rear door card". Then you follow the link and the document title is "Removing rear door card". It is then impossible to tell from what step you actually need to start, because you do not need to remove the whole door card, yet in the document linked to it has no where that specify how to just remove the bottom part, so then you go and start guessing from the document what does and doesn't have to be removed.

What rear door? Also you cannot just remove the bottom of the panel. The top panel needs to come out first.

I've had no issues with it so far. No manual will be 100% and there will always be other ways of doing things. It's best to use your head and analyze the situation regardless of what the manual or common knowledge on forums says.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by megacrazy
What rear door? Also you cannot just remove the bottom of the panel. The top panel needs to come out first.

I've had no issues with it so far. No manual will be 100% and there will always be other ways of doing things. It's best to use your head and analyze the situation regardless of what the manual or common knowledge on forums says.
sorry meant to say rear panel cover its not a door.

Thanks for confirming the glass does have to come out. Ofcourse no manual will be 100% as i said ive only found a couple of issues and yes some comman sense is required but its hard to come by when you've been working on the car for hours on end :p

im going to give the lock spring another go today. Ill take some picks if i manage to fix it
Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 PM

Sorted this out on the weekend. I'll start another thread with some pictures as a DIY for anyone else who needs it.