CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Who has taken the center dome lamp/sensor assembly apart?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2017 | 02:06 PM

2006 CLK350
Who has taken the center dome lamp/sensor assembly apart?

Some time ago I posted that my AC/Heat temp was either all hot or all cold. My mechanic said that the sensor in the center overhead dome lamp assembly was bad and I should replace the whole thing for about $750. Someone here posted that it was usually a resistor that needed replacing so I bought one to replace it (they actually sent me 10 of them so if anyone else needs one let me know.) So I finally get around to taking the binnacle out but I will be damned if I can get it apart. I have the correct tool for the little screw heads but they don't budge. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate any instructions.Thanks
Old 10-13-2017 | 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
Hey Biff, you are about to do damage to your overhead control module which also senses in car temp for the AC controller---save your time and money and make your girlfriend a necklace out of the resistors.
Old 10-13-2017 | 04:43 PM

2006 CLK350
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Hey Biff, you are about to do damage to your overhead control module which also senses in car temp for the AC controller---save your time and money and make your girlfriend a necklace out of the resistors.
Not sure who Biff is. The control module is already damaged an needs repair/replace. Others here have replaced the resistor successfully. I am looking for the guys that have successfully opened it up and done it, not the people who think it is impossible, but thanks for your input Plutoe.
Old 10-13-2017 | 10:42 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I've taken a few of those apart and don't remember the screw being terribly difficult like that. IIRC, they are a "security Torx" that requires a Torx bit with a hole in it. I guess I;d just keep trying, and if I broke it, I'd glue it back together.