CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Instrument cluster lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Gotta love the 'kaos!
Old 12-23-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W209
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The car will work without the cluster installed, HOWEVER you should not drive it. The odometer mileage is stored both in the cluster and int he ignition switch. If these get too far out of sync (I think about 60 miles?) then it locks out the reading and there is no "official" way to fix that. Also, it will generate a hard SRS fault that will need to be cleared using an appropriate diagnostic tool, so to prevent that, son;t even switch on the ignition without the cluster installed.
This is about the same problem with the instrument cluster; no backlight since our last contact. A few days ago, it was a cold night, the cluster backlight came back to life. It occurred in the exact situation it went off. I was parked in front of another car and there was someone inside that car. For courtesy, I turned the lamp switch off, when I turned it on again the cluster backlight went on. I drive a couple of miles after that and all seemed normal in regard the cluster. Next day, the backlight didn't come on. Then, I suspected on the lamp switch module. I bought an used on at eBay to test. It didn't work as well. Maybe a bad contact inside the cluster or could be also something else?
Old 12-23-2018, 09:50 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I doubt is the light switch module. Most likely it's a nearly broken Mylar ribbon cable inside the cluster They get brittle and crack.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 CLK 350
FWIW I posted in another thread the back light on my fuel gauge is starting to blink on and off. While changing out my steering wheel I pulled the cluster and sprayed out the brightness potentiometer with contact cleaner. Mine looked different from the one in Rudney's FAQ and cleaning it didn't help the issue.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:29 AM

W209
Cluster back lights

I followed what I learned at other post on the subject and it did work. My cluster back light is on again. I opened the cluster and saw that one side of the ribbon cable was lightly lifted. I just pressed it down with the tip of my finger and reinstalled the cluster. To my surprise the back lights are now on. Here's a photo. The photo doesn't show exactly my point but I drew a red arrow showing. My only other issue is that after reinstalling the cluster the SRS warning light turned on together with a warning sign of defective restrain system. It sucks.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Let us know if this fix holds. It may not. Those Mylar ribbon cables are often glued to the physical contacts and they come loose fro heat/vibration. An electronics repair shop might be able to permanently fix it.

As for the SRS light, you probably switched on the ignition with the cluster removed. You'll need to pull the codes and reset them. If you don;t have one, look into the iCarsoft i980 or MBII, or the Autel MD802 Elite/
Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 PM

W209
IC back light

Originally Posted by fernmc

I followed what I learned at other post on the subject and it did work. My cluster back light is on again. I opened the cluster and saw that one side of the ribbon cable was lightly lifted. I just pressed it down with the tip of my finger and reinstalled the cluster. To my surprise the back lights are now on. Here's a photo. The photo doesn't show exactly my point but I drew a red arrow showing. My only other issue is that after reinstalling the cluster the SRS warning light turned on together with a warning sign of defective restrain system. It sucks.
So far, so good. The IC back light is on. About erasing the SRS warning light, I don't have a scanner. If I disconnect the battery, does it erase that code? I found a scanner iCarsoft i980 for $60, but it seems that it works based on car model. Does it erase SRS code for CLK 320 2004?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:55 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
No, disconnecting the battery won't clear and SRS fault. I have experience with the iCarsoft i980, but for what I have read about it, it should do the job.