CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Should I sell my LCLK 500 with 140k or dig

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 500 Convertable
Should I sell my LCLK 500 with 140k or dig

I picked up a CLK500 with 140k on it for a nothing, now I understand why, the driver side rear window system has failed, allowing me to open by hand, this I assume is also why the convertible is not working, and when I inspected the motor, the harmonic Fly Wheel is distorted, and it's leaking oil, it looks like the valve coves have been removed at one time as I see sealant, and not think it's factory sealant. Also, the power tile is not working, I can hear the motor running, but it's not going up and down. I'm not a Mercedes owner, and I don't have the tools, yet to work on it.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I won't try and guess what a "power tile" is. The rear window regulator is not a huge job for someone who likes to do their own work, but would be pretty intimidating for someone who does not. It's a job where you can save a lot doing it yourself. As for the flywheel, I assume you mean the front crank pulley? You sure it is really distorted? And when you say "It's 'leaking oil" do you mean at the pulley, or the engine generally? It's no big deal that the valve covers have been removed by that miles. How does it run? Besides your rear window regulator, it's really hard to assess from the details you have given whether you have minor issues that are normal for a car of this age or something else. A 13 year old MB can kill you if you are on a budget and cannot do the work yourself. Or it can be a great deal if you can.
The following users liked this post:
Shaman-HAMR (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by Yidney
I won't try and guess what a "power tile" is.
I'm voting for sunroof!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 500 Convertable
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I meant the "Power Tilt", and being 6'-4" I have a hard time entering the driver side as the tilt is in the lower position. The window regulator is only a problem because its in pieces, but I will eventually look at the opposite side to and figure it out. It's been a few years sense I've worked on cars, but I'm not afraid of getting it done. I was worried about the heads and the small leak, but you put me at ease. I will need to see if the heads were torqued properly or if it's just not sealing and needs a new casket. As for the "front crank pulley", the hard rubber layer is bulging, causing it to wobble and it's starting to fray the inside edge of the belt. I will be looking to change the oil this weekend, and replace the filters, including the internal air filter. I'm looking to have it detailed after the holidays, and get the leather cleaned up. It has a new convertible top, but it's not actuating. I believe it's because the rear window regulator is not meeting a sensor that is required for the top to retract. But it also maybe that when they installed the new canopy it was installed wrong. I found a new alternator, and battery, which may explain the SRS error, it may just need to be reset. It could also be a seat sensor malfunction? So thats my list of items I'm dealing with. I wish I had the cash to have the window regulator and top repaired by Mercedes, to make sure it's not some thing that was done wrong with the new top was installed. But it is what it is... Thanks for your response..
Old 12-12-2017, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Not good news on the power tilt if you can hear the motor. You have to remove the steering column. You could look at a column for sale on ebay to see what it looks like and where the motor is. Sounds like the crank pulley is in fact failing. That should be your first priority. Someone has posted a DIY with pictures on the window regulator. Again. look at one for sale online to see what they look like. Kind of a large assembly - sort of like inserting a dinner tray into that space. I think there are some aftermarket repair parts. Window regulators in most all cars are a weak spot because have they have lots of strong metal parts, but they depend on a few cheap plastic parts.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Well, since you picked it up for "nothing", if you decide that it's more than you can handle, I'd be glad to take it off your hands for "nothing"
Old 12-13-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
1985(W126)500SE, 1994(W124)E420 1991(R129)500SL and The Mothership 2009 CLK550
Paraphrasing an old song "Nothing from nothing leaves nothing, so you gotta pay something, if you wanna close the deal".