CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2005 CLK500 Convertible Harman Kardon Mayday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK500 Convertible
2005 CLK500 Convertible Harman Kardon Mayday

Ok forlks, I'll try to summarize. New to Mercedes. Wonderful girlfriend has a 2005 CLK500 Vert, which from what I can tell, is an A209 although it is often referred to as the W209 mistakenly. Would like to keep the girlfriend. Mercedes I'm on the fence about. I love the car and the smooth power, but I'm a Chevy guy. Noisy clunky power for cheap. Refinement is new to me.

Her audio system appears to have an optic loop issue. Intermittent function of the COMAND, it either works or it doesn't. When it does come on, it works fine, but then it may not power on for a month.

Trying to find all the components, specifically the tele-aid unit because I want to try bypassing it first. (I do have optical bypass things.)

I'm finding that there about eleventybillion component location configurations. I thought there were component location diagrams here on mbworld, but for the life of me I can't find one specific to her car. I just need to find the component locations for now, and it would be nice to do so without having to disassemble the entire car.

Help.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
well diagnosing it like this might not work . It can be the head unit or amp . and if you use the bypass you still wont figure it out . if you bypass the amp you wont get sound and if you bypass the cd changer you wont get sound either . try this . Go into the trunk by the driver side there is an access panel . Take it out and look inside . Right by the hump of the rear tire you will see the amp sticking out with the wires going through it . Take off the fiberoptic line and turn the car on . If your getting a light through the fiber optic then the amp is getting a signal . Now take a mirror and put it over the amp fiber optic port and see if you see a light . IF yes then its not your amp . If you dont get a blinking light from the amp fiber optic terminal then its your amp . the ch changer is in the glovebox and should be easy to diagnose . The headunit is easy to diagnose but will need to be removed . If your not getting sound its propably the AMP . IF you have no power its probably the head unit . Because the fiber optic only sends sound has nothing to do with power . I would start at the headunit . Test it a few times . Let me know if this helps . Check this video out.