CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK V6 Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GF
Exclamation CLK V6 Engine Ticking Noise

Hi All,

I have an issue with constant metallic ticking noise coming out from the engine when my car is idling. The noise will only be heard if all window and sunroof is closed. While driving I can not hear ticking noise at all and dead quiet. I did a search on forum, is this issue related to ENGINE MOUNTS? or engine internal problem? or BELTS?noisy pulley whistle? or air pulse valve(emissions related)?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by DTMCLK; 05-18-2004 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
The simplest thing you can do is compare your car to annother at the dealer, it will take all of 10 mins. The three valve MB engines do have noisy valve trains. Do the comp I mentioned above and stop guessing.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:14 PM

2010 ML350 CDI AMG Sports, BMW e92 335i (sold), CLK240 Avantgarde (sold)
Told you to stop guess, seems like I'm not the only one who said the same thing

I can tell you that on my car I can definitely hear the air pulse valve pumping https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ir+pulse+valve ...the link you showed me last night... just have to find a way to minimize the noise myself, definitely wouldn't take it to the dealers to do because they won't do jack *****... oh, they may test your redline on your car which is only how many km's? ....300km on the clock??

Cheers,
Ho
Old 05-18-2004, 07:36 PM

GF
Thanks Kaiju and RJC,

I did took my car to dealer yesterday and compare to another CLK, and I could not hear those ticking noise but i could hear in mine. I will do more testing before i do take the car to service.

Kaiju- air pulse valve pumping , does it give the clicking or ticking noise when ur inside the car and engine idling?

Cheers

Last edited by DTMCLK; 05-18-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:47 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Did you make sure the temps of both cars were the same?

Yes you can hear the purge valve in the car but it does not stay on continuously and won't increase with rpms like the valvetrain.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:57 PM

GF
YES RJC

Both Car has same temperature when idling and I could hear soft metallic ticking noise when im inside the car (with all window and sunroof closed). I will do more testing later today and let you know what i discover.

Cheers
Old 05-18-2004, 11:48 PM

hard to describe what the sound is but you can feel the pulse ticking away so I guess its a ticking noise... noticed it doesn't kick in when you first started the car, have to wait a bit, didn't time it so I can't tell how long to wait...

Therefore when you tested the other car at the dealers yesterday, the chances are the other car was cold which is why you can't hear that noise... best thing to do is drive both cars around then listen for the ticking noise which I'm quite sure is just the air pulse valve which looks to be normal.

Cheers,
Ho
Old 05-19-2004, 07:28 AM

GF
I did what nov0798 post, I took the air valve bracket from the body and paste a soft pad in between the body and the bracket and screw the bracket back to the body.

As the engine is idling (all windows and roof and AC is off) I still can hear the soft "da da da da da da da" noise, It sounds like coming from the cam shaft or fuel pipe or pulley or belts.

I also filled full OPTIMAX shell petrol so i know it is not the petrol that causing the clicking sound.

I will have to take the car in for check.

what will be the sound like if the problem is related to the ENGINE MOUNT? anyone ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by DTMCLK; 05-19-2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 AM

I also filled full OPTIMAX shell petrol so i know it is not the petrol that causing the clicking sound.
I wouldn't bet my money on using Shell Optimax there dude, I told you that my mechanic its a poor grade stuff even though its rate 98 octane, he actually advised me to use BP Ultimate to get rid of pining noise from the engine. The reason I'm using Shell is because its cheap, will try the BP Ultimate when the petrol prices drop.

BTW, I can't tell any difference between Catex Vortex which is only 95 octane versus Shell Optimax which is 98 octane so I think my mechanic is correct in saying that Shell is *****.

Cheers,
Ho
Old 05-20-2004, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Hey dude you got your car! congrats man.

so shell is bad? i use Esso for the past few fill-ups but dave told me to use Shell instead.. And i thought you were'nt supposed to use the topgrade fuel.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:05 AM

GF
I visit the service center today and replaced a brand new purge valve and now the noise is somehow less or gone..

SMILE on my face

purge valve often cause the ticking sound and it is normal as told from the merc mechanics, but what we can do is to minimize the ticking or clicking noise some purge valve is louder than others, so in my case my new puurge valve is quieter than the original.

hope this info helps other CLK owners!!

I'm trying hard now to run in my car... then i will start push more..

cheers

Last edited by DTMCLK; 05-20-2004 at 07:19 AM.