CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Hard Shifts from 1st to Second

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 550 AMG
Hard Shifts from 1st to Second

So I bought an 08 CLK 550 with 98K on the clock, It is everything I hoped it would be aside from one thing. In sport mode with the car in control it shifts really hard from first to second. Hard enough that it feels like it will hurt the car. I can put it in sport mode and use the paddles and it shifts great. Put it in C mode no problems there. It's only 1st to 2nd and it's only when the car is shifting. Just as an FYI on what I've done since I bought it. All air filters have been changed inside and out, Oil and filter, plugs, engine mounts and trans full flush and service. The car is not throwing any codes, but I do get very small vibration at idle sometimes (probably nothing) So any thoughts on what it could be? For now my solution is just to use the paddles in sport mode which I enjoy so not a big deal or major hardship. When I had the the motor mounts and trans done, they checked for a problem with the connector plate and didn't find any problems.

Oh and I have done the relearn (or at least tried to) didn't seem to make any difference.

Last edited by jlpskydive; 04-14-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:44 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
"C mode start in 2nd gear, so that's why you don;t feel it then. You are likely holding 1st gear longer when manually shifting. My guess is low fluid - a hard 1-2 shift is a classic symptom.
The following users liked this post:
jlpskydive (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:51 AM

CLK 550 AMG
Originally Posted by Rudeney
"C mode start in 2nd gear, so that's why you don;t feel it then. You are likely holding 1st gear longer when manually shifting. My guess is low fluid - a hard 1-2 shift is a classic symptom.
I'm hoping you're right. Can you direct me to a place where I can buy a dipstick for the car for the trans and the correct one? If you are right that means the place that I just paid 1K, to service the trans and replace the motor mounts won't be getting my business again. Also where I do get a dipstick to check it, what is the procedure? Car on, warm, in park? Cold, off?

Never mind found the tool and the tutorial. Thanks again!!

Last edited by jlpskydive; 04-15-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:29 AM

CLK 550 AMG
OK welp.... I found out that tutorial was the wrong one and the only way to check it, is from the bottom. WHY O WHY do Germans make things so complicated...... It's like they sit around a table and say... Lets see how many moving parts we can put in this thing and make it work. I love the car and some of it is WAY easier to work on than my Corvette, like the plugs, but not being able to check the trans fluid is just silly.....
Old 04-15-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 270CDI AMG
It's a normal problem for the 5-speed and 7-speed MB gearboxes of that era paired with higher torque engines like the diesels or the V8's. I can't find it now, but in another forum a mercedes technician explained the problem.
It's related to a specific piece wearing down in the gearbox. Luckily nothing bad can happen, but the hard shift will stay there. Unfortunately, if you want to get it fixed, it's a 1000$ repair in Europe (maybe more in the USA)

I also have the same problem with my CLK, but nothing bad has happened and have been driving like that for almost a year (since day 1 of owning the car). I do have to say that when my car warms up, it always changes gears smoothly.

Anyway, I don't think this is anything major and enjoy your Mercedes!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
This happens to me too......but then I’m also going on 250k mile lol.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:53 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by jlpskydive
OK welp.... I found out that tutorial was the wrong one and the only way to check it, is from the bottom. WHY O WHY do Germans make things so complicated...... It's like they sit around a table and say... Lets see how many moving parts we can put in this thing and make it work. I love the car and some of it is WAY easier to work on than my Corvette, like the plugs, but not being able to check the trans fluid is just silly.....
Actually, many car manufacturers are now using the bottom fill and overflow level check method. It makes it easier to build a car around the transmission when you don't have to worry about a dip tube, and it saves a little bit of weight (yes, every ounce counts!).
Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
My car bangs 1-2 real hard when I'm doing some full throttle runs. It's always been semi-hard even when cruising and I've done the tranny fluid replacement
Old 04-24-2018, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
The 722.9 7-speed transmission control unit has a software update that will smoothen out the 1 ->2 shift.
The following users liked this post:
jlpskydive (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 12:22 AM

CLK 550 AMG
Originally Posted by xsever
The 722.9 7-speed transmission control unit has a software update that will smoothen out the 1 ->2 shift.

Is that a dealer only option? If not where else can I get it done? Thanks for the input, I REALLY hope this is what's wrong. The level is correct, I'm almost sure, the shop I took it to is has a great rep. They looked up the car and said it had been very well take care of through it's life according to them from the records they could see on the MB computer networks
Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by jlpskydive
Is that a dealer only option? If not where else can I get it done? Thanks for the input, I REALLY hope this is what's wrong. The level is correct, I'm almost sure, the shop I took it to is has a great rep. They looked up the car and said it had been very well take care of through it's life according to them from the records they could see on the MB computer networks
Yes this is a software update only the dealership can perform. Go to your nearest dealership and get a quote.