CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Opinions on CLK550 vs. CL500, CL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 CLK350 COUPE AMG SPORT
Opinions on CLK550 vs. CL500, CL55

I have owned my 2009, CLK350 Coupe for almost a year, and I'm ready for a change. Looking for a V8 powered coupe, and I have narrowed it down to a CL500, CL55 AMG or a CLK550. Anyone have any experience with the CL's? I love the look and the the comfort. However, I realize that can be expensive to repair, while the CLK550, although smaller and not as luxurious, is considered to be pretty bullet proof. Just looking for thoughts or opinions and if anyone knows of a nice CL 500, CL55 AMG or a CLK 550, let me know. I am in the Northeast and willing to travel.

Thank you,

Rick
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...nvertible.html
The following users liked this post:
blackduc1 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:56 AM

Fatz,

I saw that yesterday and it is gorgeous!! I'm just not considering a cabriolet right now. Living in Northeast Pennsylvania, Convertibles don't make a lot of sense. It has been raining for the majority of the last 5 weeks!! But I could always move...?!?!

Thank you very much for the link.

Best,

Blackduc1
Old 05-25-2018, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by blackduc1
I have owned my 2009, CLK350 Coupe for almost a year, and I'm ready for a change. Looking for a V8 powered coupe, and I have narrowed it down to a CL500, CL55 AMG or a CLK550. Anyone have any experience with the CL's? I love the look and the the comfort. However, I realize that can be expensive to repair, while the CLK550, although smaller and not as luxurious, is considered to be pretty bullet proof. Just looking for thoughts or opinions and if anyone knows of a nice CL 500, CL55 AMG or a CLK 550, let me know. I am in the Northeast and willing to travel.

Thank you,

Rick
The CL is a amazing car. I have a CL600. Not a V8 but a V12. The CLK cannot compare to the interior quality, comfort and ride while the CLK has a solid well made interior it cannot compare to leather and alcantara of the CL. Looks wise they are both great looking. I drive my CLK's more then I do the CL. The CL500 will not be bad. However, if you get one with ABC then that can be troublesome at some point in the cars life. The CLK550 has no airmatic or ABC to worry about.
blackduc1 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 01:12 PM

You make some of the same points I have come up with. The CLK 550 is fast, and reliable, but not nearly the car the CL is. How has your CL600 been in terms of reliability and maintenance? There are a lot of 600's out there also, and who wouldn't want a TT V12?! I appreciate your feedback and comments. I just have to keep looking at as many cars as I can, and the right one will come along, I just have to be patient. I am going to drive a CL600, just to compare to the 500.

Thanks again,

blackduc1
Old 05-25-2018, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
The W215 CL is a great car. The interior is phenomenal and great ride comfort along with very nice handling for such a large car. The car is really something else. The 500 is sort of a slouch though (based on my opinion). The 55K is a rocket (so you can only imagine the 600 or 65). The 55 NA (found in the CLK55 as well) is not bad, but only available on pre-facelift models. The ABC is the most problematic thing to look out for. Other issues include vacuum door lock system, vacuum door and trunk suction, hydraulic trunk pump, steering column module (I think that's what it was called or something). Note the 04-06 500's got the 7 speed so you may have to deal with that as well. The only exterior thing I don't like about those cars anymore is the double oval headlights look really dated (at least the CLK and SL headlights are joined together so doesn't look as dated). Also, the stock Bose system was not good at all based on my taste (the W209 harman system is way better).

Last edited by gaazmon; 05-25-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:21 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The CL is a nice car. It is much more complex than the CLK. It's basically a two-door S-Class. Another option you might consider is an SL. Yes, it's a convertible, but the vario roof is a hard top, not canvas like the CLK cabriolet. You will sacrifice some room and a back seat, and it is lower than the CL (or CLK) making getting in and out slightly more difficult. But it is very sporty. Of course you'd be looking at the same pneumatic, ABC and SBC issues as the CL. But if you can DIY, it's not crazy in terms of maintenance, but do expect there to "always be something to work on". I would not own an SL or CL without investing in your own SDS (Star Diagnosis) setup.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by blackduc1
You make some of the same points I have come up with. The CLK 550 is fast, and reliable, but not nearly the car the CL is. How has your CL600 been in terms of reliability and maintenance? There are a lot of 600's out there also, and who wouldn't want a TT V12?! I appreciate your feedback and comments. I just have to keep looking at as many cars as I can, and the right one will come along, I just have to be patient. I am going to drive a CL600, just to compare to the 500.

Thanks again,

blackduc1
It has been reliable. It has never left me on the side of the road or failed to start so that is how I measure reliability. Had no ABC issues as of yet(Thank God) However I had a o2 sensor go and the navigation acted up one day and needed to be reset. No mechanical issues at all. The CL is much more complex and I personally would not use it as my only car if you drive a lot because of the prone ABC issues. Upkeep is expensive as it is a V12. Think how many fluid changes and spark plugs and coil packs need to be replaced. The car is ahead of its time and I try to baby it because honestly if things go wrong it is not cheap. However, the enjoyment you can get from the CL is nearly second to none.
blackduc1 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by gaazmon
The only exterior thing I don't like about those cars anymore is the double oval headlights look really dated (at least the CLK and SL headlights are joined together so doesn't look as dated).
I was waiting for someone to make that comment because honestly, I love the whole CL-culture but the headlights on those models are so hideous that when I see one, I cannot but compare it to the CLK and see how much more beautiful and "modern" the CLK feels compared to the CLs of that era. The difference looks 1995 vs 2005.

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd definitely go for a 2009 CLK 550 or an SL or the facelift/newer CL if anything but definitely nothing with the double oval headlights.

Good luck and enjoy your cars gents!
blackduc1 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 11:11 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
It has been reliable. It has never left me on the side of the road or failed to start so that is how I measure reliability. Had no ABC issues as of yet(Thank God) However I had a o2 sensor go and the navigation acted up one day and needed to be reset. No mechanical issues at all. The CL is much more complex and I personally would not use it as my only car if you drive a lot because of the prone ABC issues. Upkeep is expensive as it is a V12. Think how many fluid changes and spark plugs and coil packs need to be replaced. The car is ahead of its time and I try to baby it because honestly if things go wrong it is not cheap. However, the enjoyment you can get from the CL is nearly second to none.
Actually, the V12 engines have proven to be very reliable. The coil packs are the biggest gotcha, because they come "per bank" and not "per cylinder", so if one fails, you are effectively replacing 6 coils at once. Because the number of coils and the rarity of the part, you're looking at well over $1000. The good news there is that some parts stores (like Auto Zone or Advance Auto) sell the unit with a lifetime warranty.

In terms of ABC, I'd recommend getting a MY2007 or later. There was a slight redesign of the system that has made it more reliable. The most common parts that fail on ABC are the high pressure (3,000psi!) hoses, the valve block seals, the accumulators and dampeners. Other less common concerns are the pump and shocks. Old style (pre-MY2007) valve blocks can be rebuilt. The new style cannot, but their redesign has made them far more reliable, hopefully negating the need to rebuild. There seems to be an issue with the revised system's main pressure hose. I hear many reports of that hose springing a leak, even at low mileage. The good news is that it's not horribly expensive (<$300 to replace, or you can have a hydraulic shop repair it). On the V8's it's fairly easy to replace, but the V12's are a bit more challenging.

The accumulator/dampeners are basically pressure reservoirs and the internal rubber diaphragms will eventually rot out. These are not terribly expensive nor difficult to replace. The shocks/struts may eventually fail, but there are 'lifetime warranty" versions of those you can get. Finally, the pump can fail. It is a "duo pump" which also drives the power steering fluid, though the two fluids do not mix. The main cause of pump failure is running ti dry after springing a leak. But it can also fail due to contaminants in the fluid. In 2007, they revised the filter from a 10-micron to a 3-micron design. This has helped keep things working better. Also, it is suggested that you do a fluid and filter change every 50K miles, though according the MBZ, the new 3-micron filter negates that need (so decide how much you trust MBZ).

SBC (electric brakes) are another concern. The electric pump motor is only good for so many cycles (300,000?) When it goes, you basically have no brakes. Technically, there is a mechanical backup, but it takes like 5x the distance to stop with SBC not working. Also, when working on the brakes, you MUST deactivate SBC and when done, it needs recalibration. This pretty much requires SDS. it is possible to manually deactivate SBC without SDS, but not to recalibrate it. If that is not done, then some braking features (pre-loading and drying) will not work and it won;r be operating at peak efficiency.

All of what I wrote applies to the SL also. I'm not trying to scare anyone away from these cars, but they are more complex than the W209. The good news is that the forums have some fantastic information and really smart regulars who are there to help if you want to DIY. If you aren't going to DIY, then make sure you have money budgeted to pay your mechanic. As they say, "There's nothing more expensive to own than a cheap Mercedes-Benz." Keep in mind that there is a reason why you can buy what was a $110,000++ car now for $25K.
blackduc1 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 11:21 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by xsever
I was waiting for someone to make that comment because honestly, I love the whole CL-culture but the headlights on those models are so hideous that when I see one, I cannot but compare it to the CLK and see how much more beautiful and "modern" the CLK feels compared to the CLs of that era. The difference looks 1995 vs 2005.

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd definitely go for a 2009 CLK 550 or an SL or the facelift/newer CL if anything but definitely nothing with the double oval headlights.

Good luck and enjoy your cars gents!
I have to agree on the headlights. I just got tired of the pseudo-retro ovals. This is one reason (among others) that I sought a MY2009+ facelift SL when I moved on from the CLK. It has the newer style headlights and grille design. Of course some R230 folks don;t like that because they say it makes it look like an SLK or even a W204 C-Class. Well, the pre-facelift front end looks a lot like a W209 or W203. As for the W215 CL, headlights, I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling, but back when I worked for MBZ, we used to call it the "Ford Taurus".
blackduc1 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLK550
CLK550 for sale - Kindigit Door Handles

Rick, If you're still interested in a CLK550, I just posted mine for sale to make space for another vehicle at $10,800. Just passed inspection/emissions. Car has been pampered and well maintained with all receipts. Recently replaced the alternator and camshaft solenoids. Here are some pics. Let me know if you'r interested and I'll send you a list of all the custom modifications. I'm driving distance from PA (VA-22192) if you want to meet and take it for a test drive. -Freddy

Last edited by benzdiyer; 05-29-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: update
blackduc1 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM

Freddy,

Your car is stunning! I am just getting back to work today after a few days vacation, so when I get caught up, I'll PM you and we can discuss. After all of the looking and research, I think the CLK550 is probably my best bet for reliability and horsepower. I love the looks of the CL cars, but my anxiety will drive me nuts with all of the complex systems that can and will fail.

How many miles on your CLK?

Thanks,

blackduc1
Old 05-29-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLK550
Rick,

The car is solid, has high mileage 177k and there's a lot of life left. You can't tell it's age by the way it drives. Here's a list some of the maintenance related items replaced due to the high miles (all associated receipts available).
  • new engine motor mounts.
  • new Bosch alternator.
  • new battery, new tires.
  • new camshaft magnet solenoid (x4).
  • new spark plugs.
  • new serpentine belt.
  • engine oil change.
  • gear box oil change.
  • drain and refill coolant.
  • recharged A/C compressor.
  • new front end suspension to include, sway bars, tie rods and Bilstein Coilover shock/spring set.
  • K&N re-usable air filters
-Freddy
Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudeney
I have to agree on the headlights. I just got tired of the pseudo-retro ovals. This is one reason (among others) that I sought a MY2009+ facelift SL when I moved on from the CLK. It has the newer style headlights and grille design. Of course some R230 folks don;t like that because they say it makes it look like an SLK or even a W204 C-Class. Well, the pre-facelift front end looks a lot like a W209 or W203. As for the W215 CL, headlights, I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling, but back when I worked for MBZ, we used to call it the "Ford Taurus".
I have to agree about the W215 headlights. I never liked them (even the facelift ones). The facelift CLK headlights are not bad with the BiXenon option in my opinion (they at least are like one piece so blends well).

OP, if I was shopping for a CL, I would get a W216 either 09 or 10 550 (no turbos, no direct injection, no start/stop, no electronic steering, no ABC, 4matic AWD).
blackduc1 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by benzdiyer
Rick,

The car is solid, has high mileage 177k and there's a lot of life left. You can't tell it's age by the way it drives. Here's a list some of the maintenance related items replaced due to the high miles (all associated receipts available).
  • new engine motor mounts.
  • new Bosch alternator.
  • new battery, new tires.
  • new camshaft magnet solenoid (x4).
  • new spark plugs.
  • new serpentine belt.
  • engine oil change.
  • gear box oil change.
  • drain and refill coolant.
  • recharged A/C compressor.
  • new front end suspension to include, sway bars, tie rods and Bilstein Coilover shock/spring set.
  • K&N re-usable air filters
-Freddy
If it has had all of that done then your buyer should be more then fine for a while. Car looks clean.
blackduc1 (05-30-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 550
Dear all,
I just inherited a CLK 550 convertible (2009) from my Dad, as he passed away earlier this year. My dream has always been to have a MB convertible, plus the attachment I have to the car since it was my Dad's makes ir even more special. I am trying to figure out how to play Apple Music through the command. The car has an AUX with a 30 pin ipod connector. I bought the adaptor to connect it to me Iphone at an Apple store, but it still does not work. Does anybody have the same problem, and if so how can I fix it. I would appreciate your help, since I am new to the MB world.
Thanks so much,
Alana
Old 08-02-2018, 10:26 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Hi Alana, Welcome to the forum! Please visit the User Control Panel and complete your profile to add your location (at least country) and the year of your car. This will help other give you better information.

I am sorry for the loss of your father. I am glad that you have his car and can enjoy it as well as keep his memory alive when you drive it.

The Apple 30-pin connector was designed for an iPod, not really an iPhone. It can play music stored on an iPhone, but not streaming music. However, there may be a solution. There exists an adapter that you can connect to the 30-pin cable and overt it to Bluetooth. I have not used this myself, but I understand you must but a specific version:

http://a.co/1bejttg

Like I said, I have not used this myself (though I intend to buy one for my daughter's ML350). Hope this helps!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Welcome and sorry for your loss as well. The CLK550 is an amazing car.

The old iPod car systems ran on 12volts charging, not 5volts (anything I believe iPhone 4 and up is 5volts). So the issue is when you use the 30 pin to lightning adapter, the pin layout from the old 30 pin is not properly matching (the pins were changed when Apple went from 12volt firewire charging to 5volt USB). There are charging adapters out there that people have tried. What it does is convert the layout and charging for older docks to work on newer iPods. Unfortunately, most of them online are pretty cheap designs and don't really work. CableJive and Scosche both had good ones, but I believe they are discontinued now. This is all based on what I can recall, so not sure how accurate I am with the info.

The coolstream item Rodney posted is a great solution. I believe you can even use the car controls to change the music. The price may seem hefty at $80, but I have friends that have used these products (Audi and BMW) and love them (I use an older iPod since my CLK doesn't have the iPod audio system, just the aux headphone jack). I am also considering buying one for my SL.