CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Android Headunit Antenna Power?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK 200 Cabrio (2006)
Android Headunit Antenna Power?!

Hi Guys,

I really hope someone can help with this!

I have searched all day to no avail about this issue. I have installed an Android 7.1 Headunit that replaces my Comand NTG2.

So far so good. I have the standard Mercedes GPS hooked up via a FAKRA adapter and the FAKRA (Black) antenna connected to a 12V booster which leads into the Android unit. The result is pretty bad.

I also tried a Y-adapter for the Black (antenna) and mustard (Bluetooth/AM antenna) with a booster...this gave worse results.

I have read on some forums that people with the AUDIO10 units connect 12V to the Antenna Amplifier. This would be in my case pin 7 on block B. (see attachment, Cradle Compensator?). Trouble is, there was never anything connected here to begin with. Well, 2 cables that lead to a plug...a plug that has no opposite connector. Not knowing the pin numbering direction, I would say these could be on Block B pins 1 and 2, or 1 and 7 depending. Again, these were never connected anywhere and the NTG2 unit worked perfectly with full signal.

Point is, I have a CD changer and Phone connection in the middle console. This is activated by the fiber optic ring (I do not have an optical amp for BOSE or HK..I only have standard speakers). This ring is no longer connected or used. Could it be that in my case the fiber optic ring IS used to switch on the Antenna Amplifier? If yes, what can I do, if no, what else can it be?

Any help at this stage would be welcomed as I am completely confused.

Thanks

John
Old 07-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Here are some pics. Notice connector B. The connections I have do not match what you would expect to be there?!?

Android Cable to CLK Harness.

*UPDATE* just found the correct pinout for the NTG2 Comand APS (below). This clears up what those connections are.

But according to this, PIN 13 is the antenna power. I already have 12V going to this from the Android unit...am I missing something?

Last edited by Jaddi01; 07-26-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
This seems to be a common problem with aftermarket radio installs - radio reception is weak. Some people have actually installed an aftermarket antenna and just put it under the dash.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:53 AM

Yup, that is the conclusion I'm coming to. It seems this setting will never use the Diversity 4 Antenna system..it will only use the main Antenna, so nothing can be done.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by Jaddi01; 07-27-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Just get a cheap aftermarket antenna and put it somewhere inside the car. One of those T-wire type antennas that come with home stereo receivers might work.
The following users liked this post:
Jaddi01 (07-30-2018)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:52 PM

2009 CLK 280 3 litre V6, Kawasaki Z1000SX
Talking Jumping on a radio thread

Android Cable to CLK Harness.

[/QUOTE]

Hi All,

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but have spent days searching forums, and this is the closest so far to what is staring at me in my 2009 CLK280 Cabriolet. UK model

I'm after an android Radio, and believe I have found 2 or 3 that measure 252 - 254mm across the top rather than all the usual 260mm that wont fit.
I will add a link to these at bottom of this post.

I have the same wiring as in Jaddi01's photo above.

I can see a fibre-optic glow from the orange wire on pin 1 of what is labelled above as the MOST connector, and i'm guessing the orange wire on pin 2 is the return.
I cant find any names on speaker covers, or any sign of a CD changer or AMP anywhere in the car, unless i'm missing some secret location. (Nothing in glove-box, and nothing buried behind the hydraulic bottle in the left corner of the boot/trunk.

What is the MOST connector for? If its an AMP, I may need a little help finding it. I do have speaker wires at the head unit though.? (So is the MOST optical connector redundant?)

Pics below hopefully.
The head unit is Model Number BE-7092

What I want to add is something like this...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WFZ1PRV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2OP3Q9N156BTN&th=1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WFZ1PRV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2OP3Q9N156BTN&th=1
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VS1Z866/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2OP3Q9N156BTN&th=1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VS1Z866/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2OP3Q9N156BTN&th=1

Both state 252mm across the top.. So i'm guessing that the right size for a lot of us, as mine measured about 254, with a slight curve. Definitely not the 260mm

Can anyone suggest what adaptors I would need, or if one of these (various combinations in each advert) would do the job right out of the box?

I'm 100% OK with doing rewires, but am aware MB is sensitive to tampering, and really don't want to upset anything.
I'm also happy to pull out panels if someone can hint at any amps, CD changers, subs or other equipment that may be hidden within the body somewhere.

Attached should be a few photos of what I have behind my Command 2 at the moment.
Apologies if the format is bad, i'm still learning how to post.

If anyone knows of an alternative system to fit right in, i'm all ears..

Head Unit currently fitted (removed technically, but going back in for now)

Rear of current head unit

Fibre Cables in & out (Not a clue where they go though)

Harness

This cable was not connected to anything