CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Soft top issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk 320
Soft top issues

Hello
i just got a 2003 clk320 soft top. The top went down perfectly the first time. When I tried to put it back up it did not chime to tell me it was complete but it did latch in the front. Noticed the back rear window part did not latch. I pressed the rear headrest button and it did. Then it would not go back down and the convertible top button kept lighting up red at a slow pace then stayed on. I manually put it down after releasing hydraulic pressure, wouldn’t come back up. Then Manually put it up. Still not working. The first day after that it stayed lit up red and now It’s not red and the top won’t go down. Took it to a shop and they said it was reading a voltage problem. They tested the fuses and they were fine. Windows come down when I unlatch the front but that’s it. No sounds or anything. Headrests in the back work fine. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution. Want to see what the issue could be before I fork out a lot of money.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK350
There are many posts about people having various problems with the tops. My problem has been limited to the partition panel switch, which on my car is near the partition panel hinge on the drivers side. Another easy place to check is the hydraulic reservoir and pump, this is in the trunk underneath the cosmetic covers on the drivers side with the covers removed there is a window on the reservoir showing the fluid level. When I raise or lower the top there is a whine from the pump that can be clearly heard. Aside from that it quickly gets complicated with a number of switches and contacts each one needing to work in sequence. Somewhere on this forum I saw a diagram with the switch location and number shown, it then comes down to how much time you can spare and practice you have had.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If the vehicle system voltage is too low, the top won't operate. Check the voltage with the engine running - you should have around 14v at idle. If not, that could be the issue. If voltage is good, it might be time for a proper diagnosis, pulling codes from the soft top control module (using a suitable tool that can read MBZ proprietary systems)