CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New to the site and a query

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK230 W209
New to the site and a query

I have been a lurker for a while, but thought I would say hello officially.

I purchased a CLK320 a short while back as a weekend car and have done some upgrades to it, it needed some bodywork as the previous owner wasn't the kindest to it, so I have put new bumpers (fenders) on it, it needed the wheel arches fixed as they were rusty and dented.

I have put coil over suspension on the car, a front splitter combined to an facelift front bumper, AMG side skirts and Dare 19" alloys with a front brake upgrade.

I have lots of other mods done and absolutely love the car, it is my very first Mercedes.

So to the problem, which isn't a big problem at all.

The car has new front calipers, discs, pads, sensors and brake lines, it also has new rear calipers and sensors.

However on the dashboard the warning light is still on saying "Brake Wear Visit Workshop", after searching the forum I understand the message should automatically go off, however it won't go away. OK it isn't the biggest problem in the world to clear the message temporarily but I would like it gone permanently.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do to fix it, or should I visit a dealer to get it looked at. I have checked the resistance on the sensors are correct and I have also changed the sensors a second time just to make sure.

Thanks in anticipation

Sean

Oh yeah, here is my car.....

Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

As for the brake wear message, there are two sensors - one front, one rear (I can;t remember which sides). Once the sensor is triggered, it must be replaced to clear the error. They are inexpensive and fairly easy to repalce.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Very very nice car all around! I like what you did with it. The only suggestion left is to switch the headlights to Xenon and you'll be all set.

Enjoy it!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 AM

2002 CLK230 W209
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

As for the brake wear message, there are two sensors - one front, one rear (I can;t remember which sides). Once the sensor is triggered, it must be replaced to clear the error. They are inexpensive and fairly easy to repalce.

Thank you, I have now visited the control panel and updated my details.

As for the sensors, I have changed front and rear twice and still have the message.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 AM

2002 CLK230 W209
Originally Posted by xsever
Very very nice car all around! I like what you did with it. The only suggestion left is to switch the headlights to Xenon and you'll be all set.

Enjoy it!

Thanks, I have been looking at upgrading the headlights next.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Use an ohmmeter to check continuity on the new sensors. If they are not broken, then also make sure that the plastic coating on the sensor and wires is not broken - even if there is continuity, if the wire touches ground it will trigger the fault. I had one on the rear that was made with the wire not completely sealed in the sensor probe and it would ground out.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:29 AM

2002 CLK230 W209
Use an ohmmeter to check continuity on the new sensors. If they are not broken, then also make sure that the plastic coating on the sensor and wires is not broken - even if there is continuity, if the wire touches ground it will trigger the fault. I had one on the rear that was made with the wire not completely sealed in the sensor probe and it would ground out.

I have checked the continuity on the sensors and they are fine, I will check the plastic coating, thanks for the tip.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:38 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
If they are not broken and not grounding, then check "upstream" where they plug into the fender well.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:04 AM

2002 CLK230 W209
If they are not broken and not grounding, then check "upstream" where they plug into the fender well.
I will indeed work backwards from the calipers and check everything is OK. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Very nice car Stidds!!!!!! I particularly like the front lip spoiler. The wheels are also very nice. Where did you get the front lip spoiler and the "3.2" emblem on the sides?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:53 AM

2002 CLK230 W209
Originally Posted by Fatz
Very nice car Stidds!!!!!! I particularly like the front lip spoiler. The wheels are also very nice. Where did you get the front lip spoiler and the "3.2" emblem on the sides?

Thank you Fatz, very nice of you to say.

The front lip spoiler I purchased from Maxton Design in the UK, I bought it as it is an ABS plastic item, not fibreglass. I wanted ABS because of how close to the ground the splitter is, if it was fibreglass it could shatter. (https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/body-...andard-version).

The 3.2 emblem came from ebay, it did say 3.2 AMG, but I removed the AMG bit as I am not trying to make the car something it isn't.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
Hope you fix your problem. The car looks great! Very clean. I really like the wheels. And the lip looks pretty awesome as well. It makes the vinyl tie in nicely. All around nice looking car.