CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Roll bars won't manually reset on 2005 CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK500
Roll bars won't manually reset on 2005 CLK500

Hi everyone. First post here, I was hoping for help with an issue.

My roll bars deployed recently when I went over a bump (while my top was up, if it matters). In the past, I've been able to reset them myself by pressing a dowel rod into a slot on the side of each roll bar. When I tried that this time, it was like the spring had no pushback when I pressed down on it. So the manual reset I've done in the past didn't work.

I also saw there's a rear headrest button on the dash. I've read you can push the top button for 8 seconds to reset and then the bottom button, but for me there is only one button on the top and no bottom button. If I push it, I immediately can hear a click from both roll bars (like something unlocking) and another click when I let the button go. I'm not 100% sure what the button is doing.

I also read in the manual that because my top was up at the time, I should take it to a dealership. But I called the dealership and they charge 200$ before even looking at it.
I feel like it has something to do with that button. Could anyone advise me before I go spend hundreds on what's possibly an easy fix?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:37 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The W209 only has the "upper" button which drops the headrests, and that only works when they were manually raised, not automatically raised with roll-bar activation. So, when you depress the release lever, then push down on the headrest, they are not staying down, or you cannot push the headrests down? If they are not staying down, then you may have a broken pawl in the roll bar unit.

There is no magic that the dealer can work to lower the headrests. The only reason I can see that the owner's manual says not to lower the roll bars manually with the top closed is to prevent damage to the headliner. I suspect something in the roll bar mechanism has broken. Of course the dealer can fix that, but they will charge $$$.