CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Battery good but car won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK500
Battery good but car won't start

Hey Guys,
I've had an intermittent starting problem with my 05 CLK500. Dash lights go on but nothing happened when I turned the key to start. If I tried it a few times it eventually started fine. This issue was random and occurred about once every couple of weeks. Alternator was replaced last year and charging system checked out ok. Was told it might be the battery so I put a new one in and everything was working fine...for about 8 months. Then it started acting up again a few days ago, first nothing, then slow cranking (sounded like a weak battery) and finally it started up. This morning I went to start it and the dash lights come on but nothing doing on the starting end. I pulled the battery and had it tested, it has 930 cold cranking amps. I bought a new battery anyway (which tested at 1000 CCA), just to see if it would solve the problem. Still nothing. I swapped the starter relay with another of the same type...no luck. Any thoughts before I have it towed? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Here's 2 cents worth....
My guess is the starter is bad/limping. If it does not start under normal conditions but starts right away with a jump then that would be an indication that the starter is weak/dying; assuming your battery is good. When jumping or starting with a new battery you may just be providing more current to overcome the starter resisting to do its' job. Do you have a scanner that will pick up the current draw when attempting to start or can read a status of the starter? You may be able to check the battery voltage when trying to start to tell if there is excessive current draw. I do not know what a "normal" voltage while cranking would be.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK500
Start problem

Thanks for the 2 cents worth LOL. All I know is that I tried to jump the car with another car even though my battery is fine. No sound when trying to start other than the fuel pump running for a few seconds. It seems like there is nothing getting through to the starter. I have no test equipment so I will have the car towed to my old school suspenders wearing German mechanic.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 GLE 350 W167
Seriously

2021 GLE 350 purchased Friday Burmester Audio cutting in and out and sounds awful compared to the E class I just turned in with the same Burmester surround. Today is Tuesday and the whole door ambient light is completely out. Hey Mercedes where is the quality control?