CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK500 Gauges/Radio not turning on w/ start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz CLK500
CLK500 Gauges/Radio not turning on w/ start.

I have a 2006, CLK500 convertible. Off and on, when first starting the car, the fuel level gauge, temp gauge and radio do not turn on. The only way I know to get them on is to press the unlock button on my key fob while the car is running and the key is in the ignition. Then everything turns on and my wiper blades go on once. This also brings up ‘ESP Malfunction visit workshop’ on the dash. I’ve taken it to the machanic and had the steering wheel clock spring replaced. Got the car back and this morning got the same issue as previously. Anyone had this issue before? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W209 forum...
Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Sounds like a problem with the ignition switch. I'd start by making sure the IR sensor lens in the switch on on the SmartKey is clean. Also, if you have the original black SmartKey, take it apart (remove the battery carrier, then gently pull the circuit board out) to make sure there is no lint or debris inside the case that would block the IR lens. Also, try your spare key (assuming you have one). If none of that works, then you probably need a new ignition switch. BTW, pressing the button is likely not really doing anything but moving the key around which is making the internal parts of the switch make contact or making the IR lenses line up better.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz CLK500
Hmmm

Thank you very much for your reply. I think you might be absolutely right. I switched to my other fob and have been using it for over a week and not once has the problem came up. I don’t know if it’s a weird coincidence, but I’ll give it another week. If I don’t see the issue, I’ll take apart the other fob, clean it and see if it works again. If the issue comes back with the other fob, I’ll invest in a new fob. Again, thank you for you reply.