CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Radio stuck in PROD mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2019 | 10:42 PM

04 CLK500
Radio stuck in PROD mode

I took my perfectly working radio out to do some work in the center console and then connected everything back together. Now when I turn it on there is no sound and within 15 secs PROD comes up on display. I know there are a million threads on this error code but I've tried almost everything suggested. I have double checked optical connector is seated ok, took the 10amp fuse out for 30 minutes and plugged it back in, left the radio out of the car for entire night, confirmed cd changer has power and initializes.. no change.

It's possible when I was putting everything back together the radio turned on briefly while the optical connector was not yet plugged in. Do I have a radio now that is stuck in some mercedes anti-theft hell mode? The unit is an alpine CM1330.

Most of the threads I see on this topic are for people that installed used radios from other cars or have a dead cd changer / amp, Everything audio on my car was working 100% before I took the radio out for a few minutes.

Anyone experience this issue?
Old 09-18-2019 | 04:33 AM

Mercedes Sprinter Van
Originally Posted by bixaman
I took my perfectly working radio out to do some work in the center console and then connected everything back together. Now when I turn it on there is no sound and within 15 secs PROD comes up on display. I know there are a million threads on this error code but I've tried almost everything suggested. I have double checked optical connector is seated ok, took the 10amp fuse out for 30 minutes and plugged it back in, left the radio out of the car for entire night, confirmed cd changer has power and initializes.. no change.

It's possible when I was putting everything back together the radio turned on briefly while the optical connector was not yet plugged in. Do I have a radio now that is stuck in some mercedes anti-theft hell mode? The unit is an alpine CM1330.

Most of the threads I see on this topic are for people that installed used radios from other cars or have a dead cd changer / amp, Everything audio on my car was working 100% before I took the radio out for a few minutes.

Anyone experience this issue?
Is the screen showing the "Anti Theft Activated". if so it will need the code entering via STAR diagnostics machine. i am able to retrieve and enter this code. Where are you located?
Old 09-19-2019 | 08:34 PM

04 CLK500
Originally Posted by M3nt4l
Is the screen showing the "Anti Theft Activated". if so it will need the code entering via STAR diagnostics machine. i am able to retrieve and enter this code. Where are you located?
It wasn't going into anti-theft mode. It turned out to be an issue with the riser pcb board at the back of the radio. I left a little detail out from my original post and that was I did take apart the radio to investigate adding a hardwired bluetooth module. I ended up purchasing a used headunit from a salvage CLK and that worked like a charm.
The following users liked this post:
M3nt4l (09-20-2019)