CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Love drilling holes in my car :) backup camera install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz CLK500
Love drilling holes in my car :) backup camera install

Drill ... used a dremel but if I ever did it again use a hole saw.

Install camera

Mmmmm looks OEM. Just like Mercedes would have done it.

Camera purchased from eBay. $20. I have a KENWOOD double din DVD radio installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike-p-28:
rollin240benz (09-03-2019), SF2LA (01-16-2024)
Old 08-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 clk 320 cabriolet
Do you know how to remove the black cover? I have taken the insulation/carpeting off the trunk lid on the inside, and I can feel the clips, and was able to get one loose, but it still feels like it is attached in the middle. I think the holes are big enough that I could run the wires through them, and then just drill a hole in the black cover. This is the last step Ineed to accomplish in order to finish the installation. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz CLK500
It’s attached with 3m double sided tape. There 2 large press clips on the outsides.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:34 AM

Smart 451
Hey sorry i know this is an old thread, have so many questions -- i'm getting 05 CLK as well
  • was this a fully wired camera?
  • did you power via aux power from a trunk fuse or closer to the HU? or did you tap into the reverse light power (for power), if so, how does the head unit know the turn on the screen? or if you used an aux power for camera (instead of reverse light), did you have to wire the HU reverse in/trigger to the reverse light from the shifter?
    • if it's only powered via tapping into reverse light, does canbus somehow send signal to HU to switch the display??
Thank you!
@mike-p-28
Old 01-16-2024, 02:45 PM

clk320 convertible
Originally Posted by SF2LA
Hey sorry i know this is an old thread, have so many questions -- i'm getting 05 CLK as well
  • was this a fully wired camera?
  • did you power via aux power from a trunk fuse or closer to the HU? or did you tap into the reverse light power (for power), if so, how does the head unit know the turn on the screen? or if you used an aux power for camera (instead of reverse light), did you have to wire the HU reverse in/trigger to the reverse light from the shifter?
    • if it's only powered via tapping into reverse light, does canbus somehow send signal to HU to switch the display??
Thank you!
@mike-p-28
Its been awhile, I no longer have the car, but from what I remember I hooked it up both ways. And I hope I am not remembering this incorrectly but I think i got some static hooking it up to the rear tail backup light, and wound up hooking it up near the head unit. The rear is easier because not so much wire to hide.

WRT to the automatic engagement, worked either way, and I remember I worried about it, but hooked it up, put it in reverse, and worked every time.

This car had a sad ending. I was selling it because I needed something bigger to haul my boys and my golf clubs around. I had a lot of interest in it, the interior was OK, the paint needed work. But I had a guy that was going to buy it, and I went inside to right the bill of sale. Almost finished and the guy is banging on my door saying the car is on fire. One of the headlights had been flickering and I had just assumed that I had a bad bulb. MB has had trouble with wiring degrading and starting fires. Had to sell it for salvage.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:33 PM

Smart 451
Omg so sorry to hear!! that's super unfortunately -- thanks for the info tho, have been scouring for answers on this.. kinda simple but not really since I havent done this before..

Last edited by SF2LA; 01-16-2024 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:45 PM

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Todd Waddell
Do you know how to remove the black cover?
Not sure which year you have, but that trim panel where the license plate goes is held on with 3 screws. I just removed mine to install a backup camera a few weeks ago.

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2024, 08:42 PM

Smart 451
deleted

Last edited by SF2LA; 01-16-2024 at 09:37 PM.