CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aftermarket radio cause no start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 500
Aftermarket radio cause no start?

i Posted previously about the electrical issues I’m having with my car. I’ve been installing stereos for over 25 years, I’ve worked in several stereo/custom shops so I kinda have an idea what I’m doing. My father in law already took it upon himself to have it towed to a dealership where he told them it was because I cut all the wires etc. well the dealer diagnosed it needing a new pcm. I replaced that and still having issues with it not starting. Now he took it somewhere else and he said the tech told him it was because I replaced the radio. The car was fine for a year with the aftermarket radio but he said he was told that it might b ok at first but not having the factory radio is making the car think it’s stolen, preventing it from starting. Is there any truth to this? I have always used an aftermarket harness with all my installs as I did here with no issues. Am I missing something? He said I need to have the car reprogrammed for an aftermarket radio. This is the first foreign car I’ve owned so maybe I am missing something, I don’t know. Will switching radios cause the car to think it’s stolen and cause the security system to not let the car start?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon, 2007 S600, 2009 SL550 with ABC removed, 2011 S400 with Hybrid removed
I don't know about 2006 but in 2004 CLK 320 Bose radio removal definitely has no impact on any starting or driving (I've done that). Probably the mechanics are giving you BS. Take it to a knowledgeable independent mechanic who does MB and let him read the codes (not the standard OBD2 reader but Mercedes specific reader) and go from there. And do the basics yourself - "not starting" means very little. Is the starter turning? Check if the starter is getting voltage or not. If the engine is turning, does it have a spark? Does it have the fuel? A proper Mercedes tool is very detailed and will tell you if the security system prevents the car from starting etc. Those are complex cars so many things can go wrong