CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Transmission shifts strongly at standstill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Exclamation Transmission shifts strongly at standstill

Hello dear forum members

A week ago I bought a 2003 CLK 500.
This morning I noticed that the transmission shifts relatively hard when cold when you change from N to D or N to R.

I also noticed that I still have the old Valeo cooler, which I will soon replace with the Nissens cooler.

No ATF oil change has been made on the vehicle, since Mercedes says it is maintenance-free (which I think is stupid).

Do you think that this hard switch is a glycol symptom, or is an ATF flush enough?

And what are the usual symptoms of glycol contamination?

Thank you so much!
Charlii
Old 05-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,039 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Faulty conductor plate solenoids
Old 05-13-2020, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Thanks for the message
So you mean the solenoids by itself or the plate who holds the solenoids?
Old 05-15-2020, 01:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
First check the easiest thing . Which is your coolant . If your coolant mixed with ATF you will see it turn a dark brow color and its sludgy . Before you start throwing parts at it I would get a code reader and see if there are any codes in the transmission . If your conductor plate is faulty you will get a code about speed sensor or solenoids .

If you find your coolant is mixed with ATF. Get a new radiator , Conductor plate , wiring bushing for transmission , ATF fluid and filter . Pray it didn't damage anything internally . Do not flush the transmission with a machine it will destroy your engine . What you can do to get all the fluid out . Is get a buddy disconnect the 2 lines going from the transmission to the radiator . One line is fluid going out and the other is return to the transmission . You need the one going out . Get a good size bucket and a container that you can measure like an old 5 QT oil jug. It has a measurement on the side you can see . Run the line that's coming out from the transmission to the radiator into the bucket . You will know it the line because as soon as you turn your car on it will start spraying out ATF.

This is very important get your buddy inside the car and get ready when you turn on the car you will see atf fluid come out . Measure that you have 4 qts that came out of the transmission and shut off the engine . empty the 4qts into the big container .Then add 4qts of fresh new fluid into the transmission dip stick . Keep repeating this step a few time .until the fluid coming out is pure red . When your repeating the process try shifting into R N Gears 1 , 2 , 3, 4, 5, . This will ensure all the fluid inside is flushed out .

Once you have clear red fluid . Drop the transmission pan , replace the conductor plate and filter and change your bushing and gasket . Put it back together and top it off . Check that you have no leaks . To check the correct level you need your car on with the trans up to temperature . This will require you to drive for like 30 minutes . Check it again and top off if necessary .

Option 2: If you have no Codes and the coolant is normal it could be your fluid . Just get oil pan gasket , filter , bushing and 4-6 qts . drop the pans change the filter , bushing and gasket . Now that will no get everything out but every time or other time you do an oil change . open the drain plug on the transmision pan . Drain and refil . Do this a few times and you will see your fluid start to get clean . Unless you want to do the step above .

Generally when the transmission is cold it shifts hard because the fluid is cold . But since you never changed the fluid I would do it regardless. Here is the list of things to buy

1. ATF-134 12qt . You can do Mercedes or Shell . Any brand that says ATF-134 dont use anything else. You can get the shell 12 qt for like $120 . Check and see what the dealer if you want Original .
2. Transmission Filter and gasket - Don't go buying cheap stuff . Get it from your benz delaer. Dont buy anything on Ebay most of them are fake .
3. Transmission wiring bushing . Again from the dealer . The cheap stuff will leak
4. Transmission dip stick . You can get this on eBay for like $10-$15
5. Conductor plate - Again only buy Original I have seen aftermarket ones fail within 1-2 years .
6. Torque wrench to torque the pan .
7. Transmission oil line o ring if your changing the radiator . Again only from the dealer .

Hope it helps . I attached a video to give you a better idea