CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W209 Alternator not charging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2020 | 11:38 PM

2006 R500
W209 Alternator not charging

Hello all,

Been searching for a solution on this issue I am having. New Battery, New Valeo Voltage Regulator but no charging. I've read threads on this x4/10 fuse. Not sure if the W209 has this, but I am going to check this under the passenger carpet tomorrow am. I've already dissected the "prefuses" inside the jump post box near the battery and all have continuity.

I've read on an "inline" 175 amp fuse on the starter cable near the transmission housing. I got a lift at my house so going to check this area closer tomorrow am as well. I may need to remove a cover as I tried to look around and didn't see anything near the starter today.

Doe this x4/10 exist on our W209's?

Anyways, if there are other locations to check, please suggest. I really do appreciate it.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 05-16-2020 | 12:08 AM

2006 R500
Well, got impatient and grabbed a flashlight and put the car up on the lift. Pulled the bottom cover to get more access and looked for this inline fuse and could not see anything. God help me if I ever had to do a starter replacement, that thing is buried. I can't see above the starter so not sure it's there, but that black cable is in a wire loom and doesn't look like there would be any inline fuse there. Anyways, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Old 05-24-2020 | 11:34 PM

2006 R500
Lot of views but no responses. Anyways...

To close this thread. I ordered a new Valeo Alternator from Amazon, upon install, it started charging right away. My new Voltage Regulator on my existing Valeo Alternator didn't fix the issue. This x4/10 fuse is non existent on the W209. They fuses that connect the Alternator/Starter circuit is under the pos jump post near the battery. Anyways, I'm good to go and no more check battery indicator.
Old 07-31-2020 | 10:33 PM

2006 mercedes benz clk350
Originally Posted by MPDano
Hello all,

Been searching for a solution on this issue I am having. New Battery, New Valeo Voltage Regulator but no charging. I've read threads on this x4/10 fuse. Not sure if the W209 has this, but I am going to check this under the passenger carpet tomorrow am. I've already dissected the "prefuses" inside the jump post box near the battery and all have continuity.

I've read on an "inline" 175 amp fuse on the starter cable near the transmission housing. I got a lift at my house so going to check this area closer tomorrow am as well. I may need to remove a cover as I tried to look around and didn't see anything near the starter today.

Doe this x4/10 exist on our W209's?

Anyways, if there are other locations to check, please suggest. I really do appreciate it.

Thanks,
Leo
Hello I had the same thing going on with my car, what I did was start the engine, while it was running I disconnected the wire that clips onto the alternator, I guess the voltage regulator. The system is charging at 14.3 volts. I'm not a mechanic, after weeks of frustration I tried this and it worked.
Old 07-31-2020 | 10:55 PM

2006 R500
Originally Posted by Alberto A.
Hello I had the same thing going on with my car, what I did was start the engine, while it was running I disconnected the wire that clips onto the alternator, I guess the voltage regulator. The system is charging at 14.3 volts. I'm not a mechanic, after weeks of frustration I tried this and it worked.
Thanks for the reply. I just ended up getting a new alternator and it works fine now. I guess the new regulator didn't work for me.

Leo