CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Stuck CLK320 soft top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK 320 Cabriolet, 1 w208 and 1 w209
Question Stuck CLK320 soft top

I've looked through the forum and read a large number of posts on problems with faulty soft tops on CLK320 W209 vehicles but have not encountered any that appear to be similar issue to what I'm experiencing. I'm therefore posting this plea for help in case someone has had a similar problem and found a way to fix.

My roof had been working fine and in constant use until about two weeks ago, when I attempted to close the roof. It completed virtually the whole cycle except for the very last step where the rear window panel locks in place. It would attempt to lock and then raise again slightly, giving the appearance that the catches were not locking correctly. After multiple attempts I finally managed to close the rear window section by pushing it into place. The roof was now firmly close and has remained that way since.

When I attempt to open the roof, windows drop as you would expect and the motor runs in the rear of the car but the rear window section is held firmly in place. It seems as if the window section is now 'stuck' in the fittings which are refusing to release the section for the system to then complete the opening process.

I have been reluctant to try too many times in case I cause further damage and welcome any fellow members who may have encountered similar issues and found a problem. Also welcome any thoughts on what investigations would be valuable in trying to troubleshot further.

Thanks in advance.
Graeme

Last edited by Omagod; 06-28-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK350 (W209)
Maybe this is similar

Originally Posted by Omagod
I've looked through the forum and read a large number of posts on problems with faulty soft tops on CLK320 W209 vehicles but have not encountered any that appear to be similar issue to what I'm experiencing. I'm therefore posting this plea for help in case someone has had a similar problem and found a way to fix.

My roof had been working fine and in constant use until about two weeks ago, when I attempted to close the roof. It completed virtually the whole cycle except for the very last step where the rear window panel locks in place. It would attempt to lock and then raise again slightly, giving the appearance that the catches were not locking correctly. After multiple attempts I finally managed to close the rear window section by pushing it into place. The roof was now firmly close and has remained that way since.

When I attempt to open the roof, windows drop as you would expect and the motor runs in the rear of the car but the rear window section is held firmly in place. It seems as if the window section is now 'stuck' in the fittings which are refusing to release the section for the system to then complete the opening process.

I have been reluctant to try too many times in case I cause further damage and welcome any fellow members who may have encountered similar issues and found a problem. Also welcome any thoughts on what investigations would be valuable in trying to troubleshot further.

Thanks in advance.
Graeme
graeme,

I had a similar issue with my (W209) 2009 CLK350. For me, it was a cheap fix my changing the relays. I made a video of the replacement effort.

i hope that’s helpful.