CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

TPMS Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 CLK350 Cabriolet with 18" AMG Fitment TSW Rims
TPMS Woes

My Cabrio just started developing "Low Tire Pressure" issues, though the tires when checked with a gauge are just fine.
I own an iCar-MBII and looked at the options. The system memory reports the correct settings and the recalibration mileage of 89,610, yet the "raw data" from all four sensors reads ZERO bar/PSI.
The car is 2009, so I think it's time to replace the sensors, but I'm wary that ALL FOUR went dead at once. Communication to the TPMS module must be OK or I wouldn't be able to read set values and sensor addresses.

Does replacing the sensors seem like the right path? I have to replace rear tires anyway because mine chews up Hankook S12's in about 10K. Twice as fast as the fronts. I'm going to get it aligned once new tires are on since it could be a toe-in issue.

Bob M.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 325 Likes on 238 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by rmetzner49
My Cabrio just started developing "Low Tire Pressure" issues, though the tires when checked with a gauge are just fine.
I own an iCar-MBII and looked at the options. The system memory reports the correct settings and the recalibration mileage of 89,610, yet the "raw data" from all four sensors reads ZERO bar/PSI.
The car is 2009, so I think it's time to replace the sensors, but I'm wary that ALL FOUR went dead at once. Communication to the TPMS module must be OK or I wouldn't be able to read set values and sensor addresses.

Does replacing the sensors seem like the right path? I have to replace rear tires anyway because mine chews up Hankook S12's in about 10K. Twice as fast as the fronts. I'm going to get it aligned once new tires are on since it could be a toe-in issue.

Bob M.
Sensors last ten years and they all had batteries from the same batch, so yes it's likely they all died. Even if it is something else, they need replacement after 10+ years, so it's logical to start with them.
The following users liked this post:
rmetzner49 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 08:13 PM

Aww shucks! I kind of liked my MB Valve Caps. I've not seen any evidence of corrosion, so these caps are most likely stainless.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 325 Likes on 238 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Aww shucks! I kind of liked my MB Valve Caps. I've not seen any evidence of corrosion, so these caps are most likely stainless.
I had those too but ditched them. As I said (in another thread, if anyone's confused), in a salt-free climate you might get away with it, especially if they're stainless, but it's just one more thing to worry about.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier

Bob M.
Alignment is not going to aid you in getting any more mileage out of your rear tires. They won't be able to adjust camber enough to make much of a difference. There are several camber kits available (I used K-MAC). I went from getting 12K (with inside cords peeking through) to getting 20K-22K with wear near the wear bar and the wear is pretty even (no inner cords peeking through). Generally, if I don't feel that I can get another 5K on the tires not worn to the point of requiring replacement and I am having to replace the two on the other end of the car, I will just replace them all to keep from having to go back to Butler Tire 6-8 weeks later. I get about 40k miles on the fronts.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:18 AM

Alignment is not going to aid you in getting any more mileage out of your rear tires.
I'm not looking for a miracle, but it seems entirely unreasonable to go less than 10K on rears while being able to go 20K on the fronts. I HAVE read where toe-in is a huge issue on these platforms. Some have suggested "zero" toe-in is OK and does little to hurt the car's tracking at higher speeds. I'm also going to get away from the Hankooks since they only claim a 240UTG wear rating. They stick so well, but this is a V6 and doesn't have the same torque to cause wheelspin.

I bought this car 4 years and 30,000 miles ago so it seems an alignment is overdue.

Bob M.

Last edited by rmetzner49; 08-10-2020 at 08:21 AM.