CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W209 Retrofit COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 270 CDI (2003) - Crashed | W220 320 CDI S-Class 1999
Lightbulb W209 Retrofit COMAND

I've recently got myself my first car, a W209 270 CDI (2003), I've done some mods to it such as,
- Sony infotaintment system with apple carplay.
- 2005 facelift center panel
- 2005 facelift climate control unit
- lowered suspension
And other so called "teenager first car things" such as tinted windows, a slightly enlarged exhaust and some chinese knock off carpets.
I've recently seen a video of a Brabus S600 modified in Russia I believe with a W205 COMAND infotantment system and the controls implemented on it, which I thought was very impressive.
This got me interested, that if I were to get a W205 COMAND screen, controls and the unit, would there be any chance of being able to install that on my W209?
Of course this is a bad from a financial perspective and I would be better off just trading in the car for a W204 and putting a enlarged android screen on it, however I've gained a love this W209,
As it's my first car after all, sure you all remember your first car as a step into adulthood and maturity, would be shame to get rid of it so soon.
The car is perfect in all ways, except the media system, it's outdated and cheap to my eyes, which is why I would like to do this retrofit.

Would I need some knowledge in tuning, software or something like that, I have access to a Mercedes DAS Toughbook with Xentry on it if that helps.
How much would a customization like this cost? Would it work?

Of course I would have to make a custom holder, center panel and a armrest for this to work however this would be a dream come true.

The car with the installion I am trying to make,
https://www.benzclub.net/photos/merc...otos-4-videos/

The car I have
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...9--1547_10.jpg

The installion I'm hoping to do on a W209

The installion I'm hoping to do on a W209
Old 09-24-2020, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK (W209) 270Cdi 2003
You reminded me of something my grandmother taught me. She was a wise old woman, and taught me many wise things. One of them was "Do not bite anything you can't chew".

With technology, anything is possible, but you have to know the system you are installing, very, very well; how it works, how the various components communicate with each other, what means of communication they use, what kinds of response each is expecting from the other components, etc. Both logically and physically. I can tell you that, even with systems that are much, much simpler than the W205 one you submitted, retrofitting is never simple, even if it is made for that car (which is not true in your case).

You will need to learn a great deal more about the system that you want to install, including how it relates to the other (W205) systems. It is not certain, for instance, that the InteriorCanBUS on the W209 can talk to the W205 Infotainment system...and that's just one of many unknowns you will have to clear before getting this to work.

And another thing: buying the major components is not, most likely, enough to get a functional system. Many more, smaller, components will likely be needed - wire looms, switches, sensors, microphones, antennas, etc. Not simple at all, even if you can get hold of all the necessary information...you will have to spend many hours around WIS, and other places, to get that.

All that said, I do wish you the best of luck. I am always for using things above and beyond their original concept, and market limitations, so perhaps you can show us all the way to better things. I would love to see this working, even if only with basic functions.

Please, do keep us updated on the project.

DF
The following users liked this post:
Forssa (09-25-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 500
If you check other posts on the site, you will find out that a key consideration for connectivity of different old COMMAND systems depend upon whether they used DB2 or MOST fiber optic connections. The MOST connectors were phased in between 2003 and 2005. If you have already upgraded your head unit and amp. (SONY) then you have to check if your W205 is compatible with this new system.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
W209 CLK55 - 2003
It really doesn’t sound like it is worth the effort...

Last edited by breeze247; 11-01-2020 at 04:58 AM.