CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Interior Temp Sensor replacement...$$$$?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLK350
Interior Temp Sensor replacement...$$$$?

Had my car in for a few things yesterday and asked them to look at my temp controls. Mine is either all cold or turn the knob 1 click and it is all hot. They scanned it and explained that there are 2 temp sensors, one down under the dash by the heater box and one up high in the lighting cluster. The one up high is hugely out of range and needs to be replaced but they said they can only get the entire cluster, they can't get the temp sensor alone. The cluster is about $550 plus install. Has anyone else dealt with this and found another solution or an aftermarket sensor that can be fit somehow?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
No replies heh? Not sure if you saw this other thread...

I just brought my car in for a windshild replacement and now I have the same problem.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:13 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
No, the overhead console parts are not available individually - it's sold as an entire assembly. Parts.com has it for about $300 (check the right part for coupe vs. cabriolet and color code):

http://www.parts.com/parts/index.cfm...earch&siteid=2
Old 05-11-2013, 07:35 AM

15' CLS400
Rudeney.. do you happen to know if there is a wire or something inside there that can fall off if the console is removed. Im going to open it up to see if anything obvious jumps out at me.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Nothing will "fall off". Note that on the cabriolet, you have to remove the plastic panel on top of the windshield header (where the soft top rests) and there are bolts under there to release the overhead console. The wiring harnesses are carries in the plastic panel under the windshield header. This panel does rest against the glass, and like I said, it's possible that one of these wires shifted around and was in the way of the glass work.

Last edited by Rudeney; 05-11-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLK350 Cabriolet
Air Conditioner problem

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Nothing will "fall off". Note that on the cabriolet, you have to remove the plastic panel on top of the windshield header (where the soft top rests) and there are bolts under there to release the overhead console. The wiring harnesses are carries in the plastic panel under the windshield header. This panel does rest against the glass, and like I said, it's possible that one of these wires shifted around and was in the way of the glass work.
Hi Rodney, I just had my windshield replaced on my 07 CLK350. In the past when I started the car in very hot weather the AC would go into an extra high mode until the car interior cooled down. Since the replacement the ac just goes on a normal mode (Fan and Vent). It no longer blasts out the air and turns on the engine fans...until it reaches normal temp. I was going to go back to the windshield people but I know they will look at me like I am crazy....any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:42 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It won't go into max cool mode if the top is open (and I think also if the windows are down). Make sure everything is closed to see if that affects it. If not, I can't imagine anything they could have done. There is a temp/humidity sensor int eh overhead control panel, but they should not have bothered that unless they did something incredibly stupid (although Safe-Lite almost did when they replaced my CLK's windshield!) Also, when it fails, you generally wont; get cold air.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:02 PM

2007 CLK350 Cabriolet
Climite Control Problem

Originally Posted by Rudeney
It won't go into max cool mode if the top is open (and I think also if the windows are down). Make sure everything is closed to see if that affects it. If not, I can't imagine anything they could have done. There is a temp/humidity sensor int eh overhead control panel, but they should not have bothered that unless they did something incredibly stupid (although Safe-Lite almost did when they replaced my CLK's windshield!) Also, when it fails, you generally wont; get cold air.

Thanks for your quick reply. I double checked the windows and they are closed all the way.
When Safelite (Yes, Safelite) left I had trouble opening the top. The top was stuck in the front. I finally got it open and I carefully lubed the Pins and mechanism at the top of the winshield. I also noticed that the weather strip was not seated correctly...so I reinstalled it and fixed that part. I also noticed that the trim on the pillars were not seated corrected and I re seated them. So now the top opens and closes without an issue. The windshield tech had removed and reinstalled all the trim in the top of the windshield by the sensor.
So I had no max air problem before the install and now I do....I don't believe this is a coincidence....I haven't called Safelite yet as I wanted to research first and be ready for when they tell me they did nothing wrong.
Regards,
Richard
Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I hate having windshields replaced! years ago, things were easier and they had well-trained pros doing it. Now, anyone can take their one-week class and be turned loose to replace glass. Luckily, when Safelite came out to replace the glass on my CLK, I watched them. It was a tech and a supervisor/trainer. They used this wire on a crank to cut through the adhesive on the old glass. They came within an inch of cutting the wiring harness to mirror housing (plus light/rain sensor). i told them they were about to cut it, and they said it was OK, but I knew what I was seeing and yelled at them to stop. They finally looked at what they were doing and agreed. The last time I had glass replaced (also on the CLK) the Glass Doctor did it and they broke several pieces of trim and scratched the dash. Not only that, the cheap Chinese glass they used broke when I grabbed the rear-view mirror to adjust it - the mirror came off in my hand leaving a big hole in the glass.

Especially given all the other issues, I would definitely call Safelite back and tell them what's happening. You may need to get the ACC scanned for codes to see what's going on.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:07 PM

Mercedes CLK 350 cabriolet (W209)
Interior Temp Sensor 'damage' by screen replacement

Rudeney and fellow-owners - thanks for this series of posts. I'm in England with a W209 (which was working just fine) until I just had the front screen replaced and now I have IDENTICAL problems with the "Thermatic" climate control (when on 'auto' the fan goes crazy and just blows out hot air) plus the rain sensor is really working very poorly. I can get some cool air from the a/c but nowhere near what should come out. Certainly the top rail on the screen was removed and replaced during the screen install - but I was not around to watch the removal so can not comment on the method used. So it absolutely does sound like something has gone wrong in the 'top loom to the upper temperature sensor'. Naturally the screen install company had "never heard of any such problem"...

Did anyone find any more detailed info on the way in which this wiring and connector can be 'damaged' during a screen install and how it can be identified? T.I.A!!

Old 11-01-2020, 02:36 PM

15' CLS400
Originally Posted by Automac
Rudeney and fellow-owners - thanks for this series of posts. I'm in England with a W209 (which was working just fine) until I just had the front screen replaced and now I have IDENTICAL problems with the "Thermatic" climate control (when on 'auto' the fan goes crazy and just blows out hot air) plus the rain sensor is really working very poorly. I can get some cool air from the a/c but nowhere near what should come out. Certainly the top rail on the screen was removed and replaced during the screen install - but I was not around to watch the removal so can not comment on the method used. So it absolutely does sound like something has gone wrong in the 'top loom to the upper temperature sensor'. Naturally the screen install company had "never heard of any such problem"...

Did anyone find any more detailed info on the way in which this wiring and connector can be 'damaged' during a screen install and how it can be identified? T.I.A!!
Sorry to hear man.. I never looked into it. Brought to the dealership and gave the repair bill to my glass company. They ended up paying it for me without any trouble.
The following users liked this post:
Automac (11-02-2020)