CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Buying a car today, need advice pls. Never had a Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar xkr
Buying a car today, need advice pls. Never had a Benz

Sorry for the crap title. And after writing this post I realized that I rattled on far longer than I should have so I apologize for the fact that I have a ton of content in this post. But hopefully you'll forgive me.

I currently own a 2008 Jaguar xkr. For the most part I love it but it's getting to where there are a lot of problems with it. I know that I'm going to end up having to spend about $6,000 for the things that I know about. And it has 108,000 miles so I know it's not going to get any better. However I love the fact that I can stomp on the pedal and Sprint to 45 mph in a few seconds. I'm 51 years old and not a racer by any means, nor do I drive fast. However I do occasionally enjoy the few second adrenaline rush of accelerating. But I do try to stay around the speed limit. And my wife absolutely hates the Jaguar because she says she has a hard time getting into it and she's not comfortable so she'll never ride in it.

The situation that I'm in right now is that I have a wife and a son and I would personally love for them to be able to both ride with me. That's why we were originally looking at getting something like a BMW 335i convertible. My son was able to fit fine in the back. A problem is that the car is more exciting to drive than the CLK350 because the 355i little sportier and I just wasn't impressed with the 350s acceleration since I'm used to the V8. TTherefore, i'm trying to figure out if the E350 would be any more sporty or if I should possibly look at a CLK 550 or 500. I'm not sure which one is better or more reliable.

But another problem that I have is that our main vehicle is a Kia telluride and my wife just loves that. If it were up to her that would be the car that we drive in anywhere we go. When we're together I'm the one that drives and she couldn't give a rat's *** if we were in a convertible or not. So I'm thinking that maybe I should just be greedy and get a two-seater if that is going to be a car that is more enjoyable to drive.

Since this is just going to be a second car for my fun she wants me to stay under about $18,000 or less if possible.

I did find an SL that looks like I would enjoy it. But when I did a search this was the only one that showed up in that price range and I'm not sure if because it's the accident that's on the report is bringing it down or if there's something else. I've included the link to that particular car here:
2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL 500 - $14,998
Mileage: 69,864
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/289215063

And there is this one, but to me it does not look anything at all like the one I posted above. Are they actually different or are they the same? Is there something that I'm missing? And if they are the same would it be worth getting the one that has the accident report considering it has $15,000 less miles?

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL 500 - $14,595 (Fair Deal)
Mileage: 84,864
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/288376894

And finally, this one here is a CLK 500 of the same year. Are these cars basically the same as the SL except one has the hard top versus the cloth top? If I wanted the acceleration of the SL500 but also have my wife and son both ride with me at the same time would this be the car that I should get?

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK 500 Cabriolet - $11,995 (No Price Analysis)
Mileage: 65,699
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/287744388

And if the CLK is the better option for me, would it be better for me to get the newer 550 version?

Of course, if any of you are familiar with the BMW 335i and you think that I should get that one because it's newer and for whatever other reason I'd love to hear that opinion. The reason why I was looking at the 335 is because my dream car was originally the BMW 650i but I was told to avoid that car like the plague even by BMW mechanics. I'm hoping that the Mercedes will be more reliable than that car.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,841 Likes on 3,027 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Look at 4 door vehicles if carrying passengers comfortably is a priority.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 CLK500 Cabriolet
I cross shopped BMW (328i in my case) cabriolets when I was looking around for a 4 seat capable drop top. Only because that is what was available locally at the time, not because I think the 328 stacks with the 500.

I ended up with the CLK500 cabriolet, as for me the deal was better.

Folks say the most reliable CLK500 is the 04 - has the 5 speed auto, which is said to be more reliable than the 7 speed (started in 05). I've not had any problems with mine to date (bought with 116KM on it 3 years ago, currently has 125KM).

I find the 500 a lovely GT. It moves along great, and goes about its business without much fuss. It's no 911, but if I wanted a sports car, I would have bought one (best friend owns a 2001 911 cabriolet 4WS).

The newer 550 with the 7 speed auto is for sure faster than my 500. Some years of the 550 won't have the cam sensor issues (likely newer than 09 but there is lots of research here help figure out the "ideal" year.

I usually drive alone, but really do value the opportunity to bring both my wife and 2 daughters when they want to. Our other cars are SUV's and we do mostly drive those (CLK is purely a summer toy for me, its stored all winter).

I have zero regrets with the 500 I bought. So far that car has been excellent to me, and cost only basic maintenance (gas, oil, minor things).

I wanted a convertible, and had not owned an MB before either. I did a TON of research and discovered that on balance the CLK was a reliable option for me. My 2005 does have the newer 7 speed auto, but no problems so far (and I don't know if the conductor plate was done before).

For you coming out of the fast cat, I might recommend the CLK550. The 500 is fast once you get it rolling, but its a 5000lb car so it won't ever be nimble for cornering in my estimation.

Good luck with the hunt!

Last edited by mcgsxrclk500; 01-25-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SL500 R230
The SL is purely a two seat car. There is no rear seat or belts for an extra passenger.
Also if you are not happy that your Jag is about to cost you $6000 then don't buy a Mercedes with ABC suspension. They give lots of problems and are always expensive to fix. We in our family all have BMWs as daily drivers. My son has had a 435i it was a great car. He now has a 440i. Both are rapid cars.
​​​​​​​
Old 01-25-2021, 06:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 CLK 55
I used to have a 07 XK150. I miss that car. I had the coupe and it just had so much presence on the road.
I just picked up a CLK55 its nice but its no JAAAGGGG!
Crazy thing is it was so reliable. I drove it every day and commuted in it 100 miles round trip a day
I really think I might pick up a F-Type coupe soon.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Honestly if you do not need to carry anyone around get the SL! I regret getting a CLK Cabriolet and wish I got the SL instead. 4 seater convertibles are just boring to me and the soft top absolutely sucks. Get the SL. If you want a CLK get a coupe. They are far more reliable and look 1,000X better and drive better.
My 05 CLK55 & 09 CLK350 are both coupes and feel like different cars compared to the 04 CLK320 Cabriolet