CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Thought about selling CLK550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008, CLK 550
Thought about selling CLK550?

Thursday Greetings
I have an '08 CLK550 with just at 185,000 miles. Have had it forever and up-until last June it was my daily driver. Has really never given me any problems. Replaced brakes, tires (numerous times), front suspension rebuild, tune-up, etc.
It now sits in the driveway with a cover. I rarely drive it anymore.
Here is the thought: This is without a doubt one of my favorite cars ever. I love how it looks, runs, drives and just the feel of the car, so really no issues there. But I'm thinking it needs to go away. I live in Michigan with our 3rd world roads and it absolutely beats me to death around here. Between insurance, registration, fuel, etc - it consumes quite a bit of cash every year
anyone else face this? Is there a market for our cars, or are we destined to keep them until we have them hauled away for scrap? Future value?
Just a rambling, dark Thursday question for the group.

Mb
Old 04-15-2021, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
I'm in the same boat as you. I have about 160k miles on my 08 550 as well. She still is my daily. I keep thinking about selling her since I don't drive much anymore and can get away with driving the 09 R230 around all time. Idk how it is in your area, but the values here are rock bottom on the CLKs. For what people have offered me or trade in to CarMax I feel like it's such a bargain for such a fast and great performing car. I was even going to trade her years ago when I got the R230, but even back then they only offered a couple of grand and she already had about a 110k-120k miles on the clock.

And I can relate with the 3rd world roads. There's a stretch between two main cross streets on the main road from my neighborhood and I honestly can't remember the last time they paved the road on that section, over a decade at least, and you end up having to dodge at least 3-5 large potholes. They patch them up every so often, but never repave. The roads are not very sports car friendly in many parts of LA the last few years. I could only imagine what it would be like if it snowed out here.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:26 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe

Last edited by nkx1; 12-26-2023 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 CLK500 Cabriolet
I will say that I doubt there is much of a collector market for CLK's. Especially those owned and driven by normal people - so maybe for total garage queens with low mileage.

I came to my CLK500 by way of a classic car. I bought a 1969 Thunderbird in 2011 or so with under 30K miles on it. I sold it 7 years later with under 33K miles on it. I got back exactly what I paid.

My CLK won't retain the value at all, and I'm fine with that. I bought it as my first cabriolet (and Benz) totally as a summer toy to replace the classic. My wife would rarely ride in the old T Bird (no AC functioning) but will absolutely head out with me in the CLK. I bought it with 72K miles on it, and 3.5 years later (it's stored all winter) I have 77K miles on it.

This may be my last V8 car, and I'm fine with that if it turns out to be true. It's a great cruising car, and turns heads in the condition it is in. When I lose interest or find another way to spend the $, I will move it along for whatever it is worth then. Which won't be much - but compared to the years of smiles, it will have been more than worth it.

Drive it while you love it, and then I'd recommend selling it off for the next big thing.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
I have W209’s. 320, 350 & 55AMG. For the 55 coupe I know that if I sold it it would be for pennies and for what little I paid for a pretty hard to find car I know I couldn’t replace it. Fast and fun for cheap. My 350 is a Designo fully loaded with upgraded apple car play and backup camera. Both the 55 and 350 are in near new shape. Both look like the day they were made. I am not joking. While I love the car a very small part of me is like why have the coupe? Rear seats are useless. Why not get the SLK? Probably will hold this one as well because it is a great car. As far as the 320.... that is a cabriolet. The back story is not a good one. Proof that a impulse buy can cost huge $$. I wanted a 4 seater at the time and figured why not a convertible? Practical and fun for 4? A “good idea” then turned into a nightmare.

Picked up a 04 CLK320 Cab with under 50k miles. 1 owner who had many cars.... well this was his beach car dog car grand kid car and of course not up kept like his many other cars (AMG, Tesla, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW) this car was neglected and just used for fun. I figured while at his garage and seeing all his expensive toys that this one would be no different.. After a quick test drive I knew it needed some minor things like pads and rotors and a deep clean. Drove home from Orlando to Venice Fl and half way home the windows rattle. The check engine light comes on. Oh boy here we go! Take it into my shop a couple days later to have them look at everything and see what’s up. Well.... to fix it all came to a total of $9,000.... yes $9,000. New soft top and everything top related along with so many other issues. I have to look back at records as I cannot remember it all. Tires came from god knows where. Fluid changes that were not done in years the shop told me that lead to other issues. Like a a$$ I decided to fix it and pay the money. Some of the work I did myself on what I could. I paid close to $9,000 for the car. Yes I dumped too much into a POS car that belongs in a junkyard! Not happy. I have not driven it in over a year now. When I am in Florida I drive the 55 or my Ferrari. I won’t touch the 320 Cabriolet. I am fed up with the car to the point where I do not care. I basically want it gone but I have not got around to it due to Covid. Not a fan of the cabriolet soft top or the shuttle shake or the poor ride and the uncomfortable seats because they are so firm. Not like the ones in my 55 or 350. Anyways I find that like the OP if your done! You are done! Do not make the mistake I made and fall in love with it. It’s only $ and you can always make much more of it (Think big tech stocks, bit coin and dividends) but if you have the car just sitting and not being used then the best bet is to junk it! Move on! Do not let it consume your day.