CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Have a light interior READ THIS!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 09:50 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Exclamation Have a light interior READ THIS!!!!

I used to have a perfect stone interior but thanks to my girlfriend's new Ralph Lauren black leather belt my seat side bolster is ruined. I tried removing the "dye transfer" using a terry towel and leather cleaner/conditioner and it took some of it out, so I then used a tooth brush with the cleaner/conditioner and it removed some of the the color from the seat! I didn't even rub hard and it was a medium toothbrush, geez MB is really stingy with the seat dyes.

Please everyone be wary of dark belts and or wet jeans etc.

I'm soooo pissed. Now I have to call a leather guy that does dye air brushing and hope he can match it 100%. The spot is abot the size of a teaspoon. AHHHHHHHH!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 320
I was told to use saddle soap when the dye from a wet suede jacket transfered to my leather in the camry. You might try this although YMMV
Old 09-16-2004, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
wheh i had ash leather in my old car, after a while i started to notice bluish and blackish marks all over my drivers seat. it was from my diesel jeans
Old 09-16-2004, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
You should see my driver seat in the E class, blue in the **** part, bloody annoying.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
What a b*tch...about the situation that is... and this is after the episode with your driver seat scuffing. Tell your gf to wear less in the car and save the leather accessories for those special occasions.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M5 Jahre Edition S, KTM 1290R Super Duke ,C63 AMG 2011[Gone],A45 AMG 2013, MV Agusta 750 [2000]
Thumbs down Blue dye on seats

I too have had the same problem ,wore brand new denim jeans unwashed - I tried to blame my wife & we had a ding dong & Investiagted her wardrobe & found no new jeans ,result blue dye marks on light grey leather ; For some apparent reason I used to get away with this in the E class I had ,perhaps cheaper leather material used?
The only way I have been able to get rid of this is by using Armorall Leather Wipes [Good bit of Rubbing Reqd]Available from most car part stores ,very Scarce in The Uk , but on my last vacation to the US they were for sale at walmarts etc.
Regards
Eck
CLK 270 CDI 03/03 245Bhp Obsidian metallic black , full factory fit amg kit , 18" Amg factory fit alloys , Full Command/ Sat nav + [Tv Courtesy of Steve from N/L ]
Linguatronic , Auto climate control , Full memory seats /Steering , Automatic/Tiptronic , Full leather napa/two tone , Brabus Twin chrome tail pipe , Tinted Windows , Bi xenon , Rain Sensitive Wiper's , Keyless go , Tuning Chip , K & N Air Filter .
Other toy Mv Agusta F4 Fully Tuned .
BMW 1 Series Due 27Th September [Wife's Little Baby]
Old 09-20-2004, 09:54 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well had the "spot" airbrushed and its 95% perfect, if I had'nt used the freaking toothbrush the repair would have been 100% as it removed a tiny tiny bit of the surface. The most impressive thing is the color match, that came out perfect but I had to supervise it to make sure it was just right. No more super light interiors for me.

55r2: the g/f now rides in the trunk.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I’ve found scrape marks on the door, rocker panel trim, seat fronts, and glove compartment from the wife’s shoes and coffee drips and sticky stuff on the floor mats. Getting out, she slams the door with her jewelry laden hand on the painted door pillar. You can imagine what that will eventually look like. If it wasn’t for the charcoal interior I’d tell her to drive herself to the movies and meet her inside.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:56 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

Originally Posted by ima55r2
If it wasn’t for the charcoal interior I’d tell her to drive herself to the movies and meet her inside.
LOL
Old 09-21-2004, 10:01 PM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally Posted by ima55r2
I’ve found scrape marks on the door, rocker panel trim, seat fronts, and glove compartment from the wife’s shoes and coffee drips and sticky stuff on the floor mats. Getting out, she slams the door with her jewelry laden hand on the painted door pillar. You can imagine what that will eventually look like. If it wasn’t for the charcoal interior I’d tell her to drive herself to the movies and meet her inside.
Too funny- I had the same issues with my wife... UggggggghhhhhHH!!!! Actually with the jewelry. I also had a punk who detailed my car pull it around as he was tapping his gold nugget ring on the roof up my car... LOVED that.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:53 AM

CLK 200 KOMPRESSOR Elegance
Been there and done that !

I sat into my car, Alpaca grey (same as US stone), on New Years day wearing a new suede jacket my wife had just bought me. Drove for about an hour and got out. I nearly dropped !!

The entire seat looked as if a mechanic who had just changed a transmission whilst lying on a typical scrapyard floor had driven the car all his life !!

I tried everything but nothing worked, in fact it made it go "fast". The dealer I bought the car from scrubbed so hard he marked through the leather ! I was furious........but it got worse !

They sent a guy out to my house, he looked at it and said he'd be back with the correct colour to airbrush it !!

Guess what !!

He came back all right and air brushed it the wrong colour. Aparantly the W208 CLK had a similar colour "Orion Grey" and it was slightly darker but a lot more blue !!

He told me it would die down ( no pun intended). It didn't and after repeated calls he stopped answering his phone. So I went out and "found" him ! I think he knew then that he'd better do it right !

Anyway he did it and matched it perfectly ! He also left me the air brush, the applicator, the pre-finish and the paint. I think he just ran off !! However after about 6 months I noticed some flaking, whatever he put on was too thick and was flaking off. I think it's a paint rather than a dye, anyway I masked it up myself only last weekend and did it again. I noticed that the pre-finish seemed to soften whatever was previously put there so I wiped as much excess off as i could. It looks perfect now, better than the "so called" pro guy did.

Still I wouldn't mind some dye as I feel thats what should be used.........anyone ??
Old 09-29-2004, 10:47 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only real/true solution is to have the upper seat cover changed. Sorry you had to go through all that, as you know I feel your pain. Light interiors for fastidious people, not the best combination...never again for me.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:53 AM

CLK 200 KOMPRESSOR Elegance
That's the annoying thing ! I am fastidious, I literally screen people before they attempt to get into my car, and I cleaned down the seats every week !

Anyway I'm happy with it now but dunno if I'd ever go light again, although it looks best. Its a pity there isn't a wider range of colours, even a mid grey would be nice !