CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help With CLK 550 Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL450
Help With CLK 550 Questions

I just bought a CLK 550 convertible. It has AMG on the back trunk. I read about some issues with an idler or some other possible concerns. We do not know where to look these things up. The car has about 65,000 miles and is about perfect.

The VIN is WDBTK72F97T078172

It was at a very good price and is in great shape and we decided to drive one for a while and use the convertible... any help with any information or concerns is appreciated. We really like the car so I just need to know if I need to address anything. It will not get a lot of use. It will.be our date night car and Sunday car. It won't see a lot of use.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 424 Likes on 350 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by ArkansasCyndi
I just bought a CLK 550 convertible. It has AMG on the back trunk. I read about some issues with an idler or some other possible concerns. We do not know where to look these things up. The car has about 65,000 miles and is about perfect.

The VIN is WDBTK72F97T078172

It was at a very good price and is in great shape and we decided to drive one for a while and use the convertible... any help with any information or concerns is appreciated. We really like the car so I just need to know if I need to address anything. It will not get a lot of use. It will.be our date night car and Sunday car. It won't see a lot of use.

Thanks for any help.

I would advise against the CLK in a convertible and go with a coupe instead. The soft tops are a major pain in the neck. However, since you got the cabriolet I would HIGHLY suggest getting it to a shop to have it looked over. Have the entire soft top system looked at and have the shop make sure the fluid doesn’t leak and make sure the top opens and closes correctly. There are many moving parts that all need to work together in order for it to be sealing correctly and keep water out. What year CLK? I would advise a 2009 as it’s the last year. 2006-2008 had balance shaft issues with the V6 and V8 models. With the shop looking it over you can at least see what you got yourself into. Are there any records with the car? If there are none then do all the fluids to start.

Last edited by C280 Sport; 02-05-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL450
Yes, we have the records of maintenance that has been done. All maintenance has been done that would have been scheduled as A and B service. We cycled the top some and it works as it should.

I have a very good MB independent mechanic close and he will go over everything next week for me. I have been looking for an affordable MB NOT black or white or silver convertible for quite some time. They love black paint over there but i don't....

I wanted one that was fairly low miles (65,000), was clean ( this car is perfect except for one chipped paint spot) , the interior and leather are about perfect. It was at a very good price.... it drove great and had all the maintenance records... so I bought it. If I had not, it would have been gone today in this market.

I hope it was a good decision...but you never know with any used car. Any advice on how to care for it is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:33 PM

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 E450 AT, 1996 S420, (sold) 2004 CLK320 Convertible (v8, 6 speed)
Yeah based on engine number (30 079431) your car might have balance shaft issue plus it has earlier 722.9 transmission which might be unreliable (I'd recommend to change transmission fluid, If I'm not mistaken for 722.9 you suppose to change fluid every 40-45k miles)