CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

7 Spd tranny fluid amount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 08:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 CLK 350/. 2009 CLK 350/2005 Both White
7 Spd tranny fluid amount

Can someone tell me other then 10 quarts how many quart are required after a FILTER change only NO Other draining. just the pan
I don't want to buy more than I need. I have seen a video where the change was done with with what seemed to be 6 quarts within 1/4 quart over and wasted on the drain pan
Old 02-13-2023, 02:28 PM

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by karayjay
Can someone tell me other then 10 quarts how many quart are required after a FILTER change only NO Other draining. just the pan
I don't want to buy more than I need. I have seen a video where the change was done with with what seemed to be 6 quarts within 1/4 quart over and wasted on the drain pan
It sounds like you might not understand the procedure. There are two things to understand. 1) fluid level is correctly checked when the fluid is up to operating temperature with the engine running. There is no "add precisely 1 and 2/3 quart of transmission fluid" type instruction. 2) the torque converter holds about 4Q of old, dirty, used fluid. The only way to change the fluid mix from 55% new / 45% old, is to fill up and drain ~2Q on 203 intervals. A ton of "waste" of $15/ea fluid, but spending an extra $60 on fluid to me is far cheaper than a replacement transmission or an extended service on the transmission.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:34 AM

Yeah, so after watching a few more videos, I do understand the system. It’s a little complicated, but not really. I thank you for replying to me and explaining in detail, but I do understand now from the videos. Worst case scenario I waste about half a quart because the car Has to be running you take out the fill device then you let some pour out once it starts to slow down you quickly cap it

The only thing I don’t understand is from the videos that I watch when people drain the torque converter only about half a quart came out of that or maybe a quart and said don’t waste your time there. But I’ve known from back in my old days on my muscle cars the torque converters usually do hold about two or 3 quarts so I’m a little confused by all this.

But it does make sense when you allow the car to run for a while and keep adding and that’s because I think some of the fluid goes into the torque converter and that’s why I see a lot of people load about four or 5 quarts and then another 4 quarts I think 4 quarts for the pan in 4 quarts for the torque converter.

Last edited by karayjay; 02-17-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by karayjay
Yeah, so after watching a few more videos, I do understand the system. It’s a little complicated, but not really. I thank you for replying to me and explaining in detail, but I do understand now from the videos. Worst case scenario I waste about half a quart because the car Has to be running you take out the fill device then you let some pour out once it starts to slow down you quickly cap it

The only thing I don’t understand is from the videos that I watch when people drain the torque converter only about half a quart came out of that or maybe a quart and said don’t waste your time there. But I’ve known from back in my old days on my muscle cars the torque converters usually do hold about two or 3 quarts so I’m a little confused by all this.

But it does make sense when you allow the car to run for a while and keep adding and that’s because I think some of the fluid goes into the torque converter and that’s why I see a lot of people load about four or 5 quarts and then another 4 quarts I think 4 quarts for the pan in 4 quarts for the torque converter.
The quantity is indeterminate.

It is a fill-to-overflow-while-hot-and-running procedure.

There is no quantity that can be precisely known a priori.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:07 PM

O so i was quoted 400 to do this and 2 places said they wont do it since it has 168k on it / It is starting to shift hard and could be is dire need of a change ASAP
What I need help with it the exact fluid for my 7 spd techtronic / I know there is a number code and with my year 2006 it should be RED fluid/ I was told to get new bolts/ new filter/ new fill cap green/
I will also need to buy a pump to fill it and a heat telp gun to measure fluid temp.
Is this too RISKY because of the miles and that sometimes the change of fluid to new can actually DAMAGE the tranny.
They say disrupting can be opening a can of worms . I will not be doing the torque why bother and it will not be flushing to much disruption.