CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Green fluid in transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK320
Green fluid in transmission?

I bought my 1999 CLK320 used last year, and I do not have previous records, so I don't know what is in the transmission. What prompted this discovery, is the vehicle started to have some issues shifting, slow shifts, hard shifts, or just refusal to shift. It's intermittent. I bought the dipstick on Amazon, checked the fluid, and it came out bright green (amd also appeared to be fairly low, it was only saturated to the low temp testing point after idling and driving for 20 minutes with only slight spotting above that.) I can't think of any transmission fluid that is green, and don't know where to find it to add more to see if that helps, or what I should do. (For reference, this car is 100% a beater, it has 250k miles, and I don't expect it to last forever.) That being said, I don't have the money to just throw at it to get a flush, so I've no idea what to do next. Has anyone here heard of or used a green trans fluid? Would it be OK to top it off with regular (ie normal) red fluid? I'm also assuming a full flush would be necessary instead of just a fluid change since there is this mystery liquid in it?

Sorry if the post is a bit ramble-e, just trying to get all the thoughts/info out without omitting anything on accident!

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,992 Likes on 3,138 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sounds like coolant in the transmission.

Not sure about this model but some MBs have transmission oil coolers integrated with the radiator and these can fail allowing mixing of coolant and trans oil. Open your coolant reservoir and what do you see?
Old 06-04-2023, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK320
Originally Posted by chassis
Sounds like coolant in the transmission.

Not sure about this model but some MBs have transmission oil coolers integrated with the radiator and these can fail allowing mixing of coolant and trans oil. Open your coolant reservoir and what do you see?

Thanks for the reply! Fortunately, there isn't any trans fluid in the coolant.

Unfortunately, there does appear to be a new onset of oil in it. So I think it's probably the end for the car.