CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 CDI - No parking brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLK 320 CDI AMG
CLK 320 CDI - No parking brake

Hello everyone,

For some reason, I noticed my parking brake doesn't work on my 2006 CLK 320 CDI. The light definitely works as it lights on in second key position, but it seems like the brakes just aren't working.
Even when the parking brake is fully engaged, the light isn't on, same when disengaged. I tried putting it in neutral on a slight incline with just the parking brake on, but it just rolls normally.
And I can definitely drive with it engaged, just feels like there's slight resistance, but that's it.
Plus, the handle doesn't spring back into its position when I disengage the brakes. Just stays there so I have to push it back into place.

Do I just need to tighten the cable, or is there any adjustment that needs to be done ?

Thank you
Old 11-22-2023, 04:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
W209 CLK 240
Adjustment is fairly straightforward. You can adjust the shoes on the rear hubs using a long, thin flat head screwdriver by jacking up the rear of the car, removing the wheels and turning the hub until you see the adjustment wheel. Tighten the shoe up to the hub and then back it off a little until the hub turns freely. There's also an adjustment for the tension in the cable under a panel under the rear seat. Lift the seat, remove the panel and you'll see a cable running from the front of the car and to each rear hub. There's a nut you can tighten. Experiment with a couple of turns and then check the parking brake pedal. However, if the parking brake has been neglected or barely used the drum brake mechanism in the rear hubs may have seized and in that case they'll need stripping down.

If after all that the parking brake works fine but the handle still doesn't spring back then there's a small spring accessible from the foot well that makes the handle return. Part number is A2029932010 and costs pennies. Look for a bit of broken spring in your foot well.