CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

7g 2-3 hard cold shifts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK W209 m272
Unhappy 7g 2-3 hard cold shifts

Hi, cannot find anything for 6 months so im coming here.
I have a 2005 W209. When transmission has completely cooled down, the 2-3 shift is long, delayed. Always in the morning I have to drive out of the garage up the hill. When im leavin garage the transmission during first shift (usually during leaving garage) has very long break between gears (only 2-3), I even had situation it just stopped because it lost momentum. When I had car parked on normal parking lot and the car stood for as long to be cold the first 2-3 shift is also hard, delayed

The weirdest thing is that ONLY first 2-3 shift is such long, after one shift next 2-3 shifts are still hard but not delayed for as long as first one. Transmission after getting to operating temperature is smooth as silk.

I sent the car to the mechanic. STAR showd Y3/8n2 error, replaced - nothing changed, oil and filters replaced - nothing changed.

After this time and trying to find the solution I simply dont know what to do, the car itself is awesome but driving with this transmission - terrible. Anybody had similar problem?

#edit, wrote this 2 weeks ago, today magnificent 7g tronic tried to drop from secound to first gear while going up garage, after (ofc delayed) change it just stoped, when i pushed gas pedal it barely moved and when I relieved gas pedal car would go downhill.

Last edited by newbier18; 01-02-2024 at 05:09 PM. Reason: new information about shift
Old 12-26-2023, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CLK500, 2007 CLK550
I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:09 AM

Black W204
Originally Posted by newbier18
Hi, cannot find anything for 6 months so im coming here.
I have a 2005 W209. When transmission has completely cooled down, the 2-3 shift is long, delayed. Always in the morning I have to drive out of the garage up the hill. When im leavin garage the transmission during first shift (usually during leaving garage) has very long break between gears (only 2-3), I even had situation it just stopped because it lost momentum. When I had car parked on normal parking lot and the car stood for as long to be cold the first 2-3 shift is also hard, delayed

The weirdest thing is that ONLY first 2-3 shift is such long, after one shift next 2-3 shifts are still hard but not delayed for as long as first one. Transmission after getting to operating temperature is smooth as silk.

I sent the car to the mechanic. STAR showd Y3/8n2 error, replaced - nothing changed, oil and filters replaced - nothing changed.

After this time and trying to find the solution I simply dont know what to do, the car itself is awesome but driving with this transmission - terrible. Anybody had similar problem?

#edit, wrote this 2 weeks ago, today magnificent 7g tronic tried to drop from secound to first gear while going up garage, after (ofc delayed) change it just stoped, when i pushed gas pedal it barely moved and when I relieved gas pedal car would go downhill.
Hey, did you get to the bottom of this? I’ve got something similar happening.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CLK500, 2007 CLK550
Originally Posted by Mh159
Hey, did you get to the bottom of this? I’ve got something similar happening.
About all transmissions will give you hard shifts when it's too cold, I wouldn't worry about it. If something was mechanically wrong you'll notice it all the time
Old 01-30-2024, 04:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
W209 CLK 240
I have an '03 with the 5 speed auto and have to say this car is the worse when it's clock cold. I read that it's something to do with emissions, the car holds on to gears to warm up quicker, drives normally after about 5 minutes. Doesn't happen any time other than when it's been stood overnight. I know it's normal so I don't worry about it.

However, @Mh159 might want to check the exhaust system for any leaks. When I first got this car there was a small leak on one of the joints, not enough to be noisy but enough to mess with the car when it was cold. Got the leak sorted and early morning driving was better.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:09 PM

CLK W209 m272
Hi, after this time and mine search the problem is often mentioned one of the lockup valve, despite the lack of engine rpm fluctuations. I will be trying to locate specific valve and will return here with feedback. If anyone have simillar problem you can contact me within discord - kubus667 (I hope this's not breaking regulations of mbworld). This problem's common and can cause faster wear of transmission.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:15 PM

CLK W209 m272
Originally Posted by rich1068
I have an '03 with the 5 speed auto and have to say this car is the worse when it's clock cold. I read that it's something to do with emissions, the car holds on to gears to warm up quicker, drives normally after about 5 minutes. Doesn't happen any time other than when it's been stood overnight. I know it's normal so I don't worry about it.

However, @Mh159 might want to check the exhaust system for any leaks. When I first got this car there was a small leak on one of the joints, not enough to be noisy but enough to mess with the car when it was cold. Got the leak sorted and early morning driving was better.
This isnt normal behaviour, first gear change can take up to 2/3 secounds. After some time when its cold its started choking, when holding gas pedal rpm go up to 1300/1400 and drops down immediately to 600-800, no gear change - just weird stuff like 7g got me used to it, wish lockup change got me rid of that

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2024, 05:16 PM

Black W204
Hi, after this time and mine search the problem is often mentioned one of the lockup valve, despite the lack of engine rpm fluctuations. I will be trying to locate specific valve and will return here with feedback. If anyone have simillar problem you can contact me within discord - kubus667 (I hope this's not breaking regulations of mbworld). This problem's common and can cause faster wear of transmission.
the lock-up valve? What should I be looking for? It’s not the transmission or the fluids level. I brought it to a Mercedes dealership, they checked it and it was fine. Let me know if a replacement of the lock up valve could fix
Old 02-28-2024, 10:21 AM

CLK W209 m272
Originally Posted by Mh159
the lock-up valve? What should I be looking for? It’s not the transmission or the fluids level. I brought it to a Mercedes dealership, they checked it and it was fine. Let me know if a replacement of the lock up valve could fix

I will get you know if this helped probably in a month, gonna check and replace after paycheck. lock-up is a Solenoid on valve body
Old 02-28-2024, 04:46 PM

Black W204
I will get you know if this helped probably in a month, gonna check and replace after paycheck. lock-up is a Solenoid on valve body
thanks for that. Much appreciated