CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2003 and 2004 CLK owners.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Lightbulb 2003 and 2004 CLK owners.....

I never liked the fact that the instrument cluster lights in cool blue and the center stack lights in amber, it sould be the same cool blue like in the new E and 05 CLKs.

I've included a link from the C class forum where a guy in Germany changed the bulbs and LEDs to make it all blue, there are pics and it looks great. We have an advantage that our clusters are already blue as the pre 05 c class as 203's are all in amber and he had much more work to do, if you look closely he even did the window switches etc. I would be satisfied with changing the lighting for the radio, climate control rocker switches.

Has anyone contemplated changing the lighting or actually done it or have the electronics backround to guide us? I would offer my car as the test bed if needed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...4&page=2&pp=10
Old 11-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK320
Hey, I have a 2005 CLK320 and my center stack plus everything else besides the cluster is still amber . . .did I get screwed or does it come only on the 500? I'm rather disappointed.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK500, 04 X3, No 07 GT3RS :(
I've pulled apart my center console and doors when I replaced my interior (not the instorument cluster), and it's really not that hard to get the center console pieces out. The door is a little bit tougher, but it's still easy. I didn't rip apart any of the buttons to see how deep the backlights are buried, but I doubt it'd be that tough to get at the lights. A shop would probably charge you a bundle to do the work, and it'd just be a couple hours of work for you to DIY it. Replacing the actual LED is easy and just requires the appropriate hardware and materials - you just melt the existing solder, pull out the old LED, put in the new one, and resolder.

One thing that I'd suggest is that you find a local electronic parts store and just buy several different types of LEDs to see what you like before doing too much - you can buy many different colors of blue LEDs, and the brightness of LEDs varies significantly depending on the design of the LED chip. The cheapest blue LEDs emit at around 405nm, and you can get LEDs out closer to 500nm (and everywhere in between) but the price goes up, power goes down, and the reliability drops. It'd make the most sense to me for you to buy a bunch of different types of LEDs and compare how they look.

I'd be happy to tell you how to rip apart the interior for you if you want. Just let me know.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:48 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dragynstar
Hey, I have a 2005 CLK320 and my center stack plus everything else besides the cluster is still amber . . .did I get screwed or does it come only on the 500? I'm rather disappointed.
All 05's have the new radio, rocker switches and climate control...according to Marcus who is a MB sales person and owner of an 05 CLK55 the center stack components lights in blue with the redesin of the new components. Any 05 209ers here that can add some "light" (sorry) to the subject?

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2004, 07:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Frisco
I've pulled apart my center console and doors when I replaced my interior (not the instorument cluster), and it's really not that hard to get the center console pieces out. The door is a little bit tougher, but it's still easy. I didn't rip apart any of the buttons to see how deep the backlights are buried, but I doubt it'd be that tough to get at the lights. A shop would probably charge you a bundle to do the work, and it'd just be a couple hours of work for you to DIY it. Replacing the actual LED is easy and just requires the appropriate hardware and materials - you just melt the existing solder, pull out the old LED, put in the new one, and resolder.

One thing that I'd suggest is that you find a local electronic parts store and just buy several different types of LEDs to see what you like before doing too much - you can buy many different colors of blue LEDs, and the brightness of LEDs varies significantly depending on the design of the LED chip. The cheapest blue LEDs emit at around 405nm, and you can get LEDs out closer to 500nm (and everywhere in between) but the price goes up, power goes down, and the reliability drops. It'd make the most sense to me for you to buy a bunch of different types of LEDs and compare how they look.

I'd be happy to tell you how to rip apart the interior for you if you want. Just let me know.
Thanks for all the info! I would like to get access to the center stack components only, rockers, (for the rear screen, locks, no tow etc), radio and ac. How do I get the wood face plate off and remove those components and once the radio and climate control is out how difficult is it to get to the bulbs and or LEDs?

Much obliged,
Old 11-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK320
Hey Frisco, it would be great if you can provide some detailed instructions on how to remove the trim and stuff in order to get to the LED's. Is there a tool that we can use to do it safely without damageing components? I'm always leery amount tearing interiors apart because they never seem to go back together correctly (I tinkered a lot with my other cars). As far as LED's, I know of an electronics store that sells them, does it matter what size/shape or is it possible to get all one standard size? Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:24 PM

2003 CLK 320
Many if not most of the leds are surface mount and some of the backlights are specialty bulbs. Wiederman had a pic of all the lights he replaced. It was crazy how many and types there were and even as a DIY it took him many more than a few hours. I think it took him a week but anyways, if you have no experience soldering surface mount components or do not have the proper equipment I would not recommend doing this project. Surface mount LEDs are easily destroyed by overheating such as more than a few seconds with a soldering iron.

Last edited by calboy; 11-21-2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:17 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's why I would like to find an electronic's shop to do the delicate stuff once we can identify the parts needed. As I mentioned before the CLKs are not as much work as the regular C sedans and coupe due to the fact CLK have a blue lit instrument cluster.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To remove, you need to unscrew two torx screws tucked behind the ashtray door. If you open the ashtray door approximately half way and shine a flashlight inside the opening, you'll see them. Undo them and you should be able to remove the upper center trim piece. The ashtray trim is just held on with two tabs and pops off. I looked tonight, and it would look nice with a dull muted blue/white to match the instrument cluster. It looks like a major hassle to change them all out though!
Old 11-26-2004, 06:01 AM

CLK 200 KOMPRESSOR Elegance
I'd be happy just to change my amber radio display ..........its SOooo ugly !
Old 11-26-2004, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dragynstar - you can buy a multi-function trim removal tool for $5 at Kragen or a similar auto parts retailer. You'll need something like this to get the door panels off. Other than that, all you need are a bunch of torx heads.

I should add that CliffyBabe and Harris were the ones that showed me how to do it - thanks again guys!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:07 PM

05 E500
I wonder if a MB tuner (like RENNtech - which is in my local area) has experience with these procedures? If not, perhaps they could assign this work out or bring in the lighting partners they must surely have to contract for the work. If they do a few of these, they'll have the process down pretty smoothly and will also have the history of how well the process is working out with their experimenting customers here.

I would certainly pay to have the bulbs swapped (in my wife's upcoming 500).

I'm going to be having them do some other interior trim work for me anyhow.

I hope RENNtech is still cruising these pages regularly.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
send me the components and LEDs and I can put blue LEDs on for you. Actually if you have a blue surface mount LED that you want matched I can get you the exact XY color coordinates for it too... and the brightness. You can then order LEDs to match using that data.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:40 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AlBoston
send me the components and LEDs and I can put blue LEDs on for you. Actually if you have a blue surface mount LED that you want matched I can get you the exact XY color coordinates for it too... and the brightness. You can then order LEDs to match using that data.
Al sorry for the long delay in responding but my computer crashed and was out of service until today. Thank you for your kind offer to perform the task it's awfully nice of you! How hard is it to just change the amber lamps vs. the LEDs in the radio and climate control, is it something I can do easily?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2004, 10:20 AM

2000 528BMW 5sp
amber display in radio does not change in 05 clk

at least not in the 05 clk I test drove. ITs still amber.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:21 AM

2000 528BMW 5sp
it was a 05 clk 500

seems all was not fixed
Old 12-20-2004, 04:06 AM

CLK 200 KOMPRESSOR Elegance
But the MY 05's have a different console display, even without Command. The radio is no longer a DIN size, its part of the console, it couldn't be amber ??
Old 12-21-2004, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by RJC
Al sorry for the long delay in responding but my computer crashed and was out of service until today. Thank you for your kind offer to perform the task it's awfully nice of you! How hard is it to just change the amber lamps vs. the LEDs in the radio and climate control, is it something I can do easily?

Thanks
Depends on how the PC board is made. If it is a low current board with all surface mount LEDs than it is pretty easy. All you need to do is pull off the LEDs with a soldering iron, clean the old solder, then install new ones. The problem is ordering the correct intensity and color LED to replace the old ones. Depending on the way the plastic buttons are made and molded they can require a different LED. I measured a BMW headlamp switch LED and it was about 25 mcd at 12.5 VDC but I measured a part from ford and the LED was about 75 mcd... but when both were mounted in the switch side by side the brightness was about the same. So it all depends on how the plastic is made and how thick the paint is (if applicable), because this will determine how much light is let through the plastic... this makes a big difference. You would also need to take a look at what resistors are on the circuit to see if you are running the LED in the optimal range and not over (or under) driving it.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:31 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AlBoston
Depends on how the PC board is made. If it is a low current board with all surface mount LEDs than it is pretty easy. All you need to do is pull off the LEDs with a soldering iron, clean the old solder, then install new ones. The problem is ordering the correct intensity and color LED to replace the old ones. Depending on the way the plastic buttons are made and molded they can require a different LED. I measured a BMW headlamp switch LED and it was about 25 mcd at 12.5 VDC but I measured a part from ford and the LED was about 75 mcd... but when both were mounted in the switch side by side the brightness was about the same. So it all depends on how the plastic is made and how thick the paint is (if applicable), because this will determine how much light is let through the plastic... this makes a big difference. You would also need to take a look at what resistors are on the circuit to see if you are running the LED in the optimal range and not over (or under) driving it.

Thanks, but what about the lamps are they easier to remove/replace than the LED's?