CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Key won't turn - Car failed to recognize the key gradually

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 07:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLK320 2004
Unhappy Key won't turn - Car failed to recognize the key gradually

Hello all,

I am having some problems with my CLK320 2004 (W209) recently. I will write all of the story below since I want to give a full description of my situation. Thanks for reading it and helping me, in advance.

I bought my car 6 months ago and I was using it on a daily basis without any problems (except a few times at first when I didn't put premium fuel 91 in my car and the check engine went on, and I just have use premium fuel 91 after that and things have been fined -- the check engine would go off itself). Up until a few weeks ago. where I drove my car for a few minutes, and the first time that I put my foot on the gas pedal a bit harder, the car jumped a little bit. I hesitated, and just tried to be smooth with the car, but at the first red light that I stopped, when I wanted to start to move, my car stalled. I tried to ignite the car again, but it wouldn't crank. Hence, I turned off the switch completely, and waited a few minutes, and tried again. The car started without any problem. I knew it would happen again to me, and it did, indeed. By the time that I took my car to a repair shop, this thing happened four time in total. The guy connected his diagnosis device to my car and read the errors on it. There was a problem with O2 sensors. Also, I showed what's going on under the hood, and since I had an oil leak (problem with Valve Cover Gaskets), he suggested me to fix it. I did so, and I got my car back fine.

Then, I took my car to an automatic carwash, and I was cleaning the interior of my car after that. I used an air blow gun (or air compressor) to clean some dust from under the hood. I took out the battery cover (which is cabin filter), and blowed air around the battery (as well as all other parts, while I was trying to be careful with sensitive wires). When I finished, I sat in my car and put in my car key, but the car didn't recognize it. So, it wouldn't turn. I tried to play softly with the key a little bit, and then, clean the tip of it (infrared) and the ignition switch (since I thought there might be dust there), and it worked. Car recognized the key, I turned it and opened the switch, and drove without any problem.

The very next time that I wanted to drive my car, same thing happened. I thought there is a problem with my key, so my car can't recognize it so well, and I have to play with it a bit, like when your phone charger just works in one way, and that is to twist it in a strange way. The very next time, it was so bad, that for the first time, I thought there must be something serious. This time, I could only turn my key, and I had electricity behind my dash for one second, and the electricity suddenly would go off, and I couldn't crank the car. Like it seemed I could get electricity to turn the switch and ignite the car for one second, and then, if I wouldn't crank the car immediately, I couldn't do it anymore, I didn't have electricity to ignite the car. So, I had to turn off the switch again, and the problem would start with turning the key again. I could turn on the car on one of the tries finally. Consider that every time my car was turning on, it was working without any problem (while the car was on); transmission, electricity, everything. Nothing unusual while the car was on and working.

I drove back home, and tried to see if the problem happens again, and this time, it was worse. I opened the hood, and took a look at the battery. Nothing I could see there. There was a black (and kinda small) socket connected to the positive pole of the battery. I opened it, it had a fuse in it, closed it, and fixed it in a place since I thought it's better not to be loose. I dealt with my car a bit more, and some times, it would again let me to turn the key and crank the car immediately after that, but this time, no electricity behind the dash and on the console (except the middle display, radio, and interior lightings, so fuel and temperature gauges wouldn't work, and rpm, and a/c display). Also, the fan started to work, while I'm pretty sure I had turned off my a/c before. I was scared a bit this time, so I turned off the car, and since then, I haven't been able to turn it on, as I haven't tried that much any more.

Here are some points:

- The key car was locking/unlocking the car ALMOST all this time without any problem, but a few times, it seemed that it's not working.But it works now without any problems.

- Interior lights work, middle display behind the dash works, but the car doesn't recognize the key, and I can't turn the key.

- I tried my headlights, but I do not remember whether they were working or not, since when I did it, it was the last time that I started the car, and when it was working strangely, I turned on the lamps, and the car started to warn me to turn them off.

- I bought a simple multimeter to try and see if my battery is dead, but it shows me 12.6V of voltage between the poles of my battery.

- I have changed one my of car key batteries, while I just recently changed both batteries of the key a few months ago. So, I don't think there is a problem with it.

- While I was as the carwash, and cleaning the interior, I let the switch open, to be able to move the seats.

I don't know what the problem is with my car, I do not even know if my battery is dead or not (since I think 12.6V on it doesn't necessarily mean it is fine). The car is stuck at the parking of the community. I am even suspecting my alternator as well, but it was pretty fine prior to anything. I would appreciate any suggestions, helps, or anything that could guide me, since I cannot pay more on my car's maintenance for now

For now, I want to get some tools soon to be able to take out the battery and take a look there. I can take pics of my car if it's helpful.

My car has 180,000 miles on it, but based on the recent general inspection of my mechanic, it didn't have any problems at all, except a little leak in my transmission, which he suggested not to fix it for now for some complicated reasons, and to pour half quartz of transmission fluid in it every 6 months.

Thank you for your time, guys.
Old 08-13-2024, 12:00 AM

CLK320 2004
UPDATE: I just disconnected my battery, waited 15 minutes, connected it again, tried to recharge the battery with another car (that was working). Now, nothing has gone better, and my windows have been rolled down a little bit, and my key doesn't work any more. So, I can't lock my car.
Old 08-13-2024, 04:48 PM

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts
SL500
You can lock and unlock the car using the mechanical key in the key fob.

It is never a good idea (except in emergency) to "jump" the battery. The electronics on the car can be very sensitive.

Take battery off car and fully charge it, or get it tested.

Try again. If it still does not work, then you need good Mercedes diagnostic tool (preferably STAR SDS) to check out the EIS and look for other issues.

Sounds like you may have got water into some electronics. When you clean the car do you clear out the drain channels at rear boot (trunk) and under battery and along scuttle panel? Very important maintenance!!
Old 08-13-2024, 08:04 PM

CLK320 2004
Thanks for your answer. I made sure that no water went under the hood. Also, my issue has been SOLVED. That was just a problem with my key fob. I called someone to come and make a new key for me (I didn't have a spare key), costed me $300, and my car is working like before. i can't believe it that all of these weird problems just came out of nowhere because of my key fob.
The following 2 users liked this post by ashkanero:
g0rsq (08-15-2024), gaazmon (08-14-2024)